Author Topic: New to the forum and building bows  (Read 1739 times)

Offline mhof86

New to the forum and building bows
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »
Hello everyone,

New to the forum here and just wanted to write up a quick intro. Before I start though thank you to everyone for the wealth of knowledge that is available here. It helped out tremendously. I am still extremely new to building my own bows, and only have 2 under my belt as of now. Both are red oak board bows and both are worlds apart in what I got out of them.

On the first bow I was shooting for around 40# at 29". This is not what I ended up with... It came out to about 25# at 29" with a tillering job that I am to embarrassed to even post pictures of. It didn't explode though and after shooting it in it took about 2" of set.

The second one came out to just over 45# at 29". The first was backed and this one I left bare, which made me nervous but then I reminded myself that I only paid $10 for it and got brave enough to take it to full draw weight early in the tillering. After shooting it in this bow also took about 2" of set, and now that I have a few hundred arrows through it the set is creeping up around 3" on the top limb and about 2.75" on the lower. I have another piece of red oak that I am getting ready to rough out, I am going to try to push this one to around 70-75# and see what happens. 

Thanks again everyone and I look forward to learning and hopefully one day contributing to the community.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: New to the forum and building bows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »
Welcome to the site...post some of your progress on your next build.  There's folks on hear just waiting to help and give advise.
again welcome to the "best side" of archery.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:31 pm »
Welcome! Sounds like you are enjoying the process. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:57:48 pm »
I don't make board bows, but 75# may be a bit much to ask out of a red oak board.
Hickory may be a better choice for a board. Worth a try though!
Welcome to the site

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »
welcome, glad to meet you. happy bowyering ::) :laugh:
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »
 2" of set is excellent for a 29" draw. Did you heat treat? Welcome aboard...
                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline mhof86

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:50 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome. No I didn't heat treat. To be honest I have just started to read up on it and may give it a try once i get a little more comfortable with the concept. Hickory is what I was thinking as well but I figured the red oak is sitting in the workshop and I still have yet to find a good source for other woods in my area (just south of Ann Arbor, MI).

Offline Drewster

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:56:55 pm »
Welcome indeed.  I'm relatively new here too, but boy oh boy, there are lots of folks here that will trip over themselves to help you out.......take full advantage........the wealth is immense.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:20 pm »
WELCOME!   Sounds like you have a great start!  Don't be embarrassed.  Post pics.  People can help just by looking at your work.  You will go further faster with all the suggestions / free advice from some of the best bowyers in the world.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?