Author Topic: Need advice.  (Read 2100 times)

Benn_of_Trades

Need advice.
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:50:42 pm »
I am a newer bow maker and I have made a few bows now... we wont talk about the first few ;) but I have become good at what I craft. But I have been trying to find guides and resources on how to make the type of bow in the picture below but I honestly am having little to no luck. Would any one here happen to know of some informational websites or books for me to learn from?

Thank you

I DID NOT MAKE BOW POSTED BELOW** But I want to learn how to :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:59:32 pm by Benn_of_Trades »

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:48 pm »
Check out the horn bow section on here.
I hope you got about 200 hours to spare!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:13 pm »
Is that bow all natural or does it have fiberglass?  If it is all natural materials do check out the "Horn Bow" section. Lots of good info, some incredible horn bow builders and they are generous with their knowledge.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Benn_of_Trades

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »
Excellent thank both of you I will make a post there as a "apprentice" horn bowyer. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:22:46 am »
In the meantime keep making more simple selfbows,and simple composite bows..it'll help you tremendously in learning how to make hornbows....if your still struggling making a more simple style bow,then its gonna be much harder to learn IMHO. Learn to walk before ya run kinda thing ;)

Benn_of_Trades

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:52 am »
Thank you for advice Blackhawk, I have no problem with other self bows I am just at a loss for resources and knowledge on how to go about making a horn bow. Nor do I seem to be able to find any step by step or substantial guides on horn bows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:24:49 am »
You might look on ATARN, a website dedicated to horn bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:29:52 am »
You might look on ATARN, a website dedicated to horn bows.

+1...and another plus for mikes recommendation of getting Adams book in your other thread...its a MUST have if you truly wanna travel that road....its the most shared knowledge of horn bow construction out there(which is very hard to find)..but it'll still leave you asking questions even if you do have a number of wood bows under your belt...

Benn_of_Trades

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:37:19 am »
Thanks again Blackhawk and everyone else but honestly I do feel the horn bow as big of a dream as it is for me the information available is to limited right now for me to feel comfortable with pulling my resources to dive in. How ever when this book is available again I may be on here looking for pointers as I read this acclaimed book and learn. But I will stay on this site I noticed there is a section for flintknapping and other excellent things to learn here. I can't wait to learn and develop more skills and maybe even throw out a little wisdom my self!