Author Topic: Knapping flakes  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Knapping flakes
« on: October 12, 2014, 08:33:07 pm »
So I got some georgetown flint and reduced a chunk to flakes for arrowheads but on every piece I have a "bulb" that it seems I can't flatten and I have a ridge close to one edge or the other, only on one side, and I either get hinges all along it or short flakes that don't remove it. And then I try to run down the ridge and it doesn't take off nearly enough to help. Any tips here?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline comebackshane

Re: Knapping flakes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:45:04 pm »
when I make points from flakes I usually use the bulb of percussion end for the point end so its easier to get it thinned.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 10:26:33 pm »
Yep, allergic hobbit, paleomanjim on YouTube.  I owe 90% of my education about flint Knapping to them. I have spent hrs watching them.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 06:23:11 am »
Try working the bulb from the middle of the flake to the tip by taking a flake from each side as you go. You will be stitching the edge as you go. You will not complete the task with the first pass so plan on doing it a couple times.hope this helps a little.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline flungonin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »
I have exactly the same problem. Never thought of switching ends. Thanks

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:54:34 pm »
When the bulb is on the tail end I try and set it up like your going for a flute and thin the bulb from the end early in reduction, or put it on the point end :o Bob

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »
It takes a lot of power to thin down a bulb on a flake.  I use indirect percussion for this because I cannot get enough power from pressure while trying to hold the flake firmly...  the flake always moves too much.  You might try putting the flake in a vice and use a punch until you can figure out the best way to hold it.  I'm serious.

I assume you are just beginning.  Beginners always have trouble thinning the lumpy areas.  Making the thick end the tip can help  ( a little )  but you will usually end up with a thick tip.  It's better to have the thickness at the base, IMO.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:19 pm »
Got a couple thinned by starting in the middle working to the bulb, tried fluting and the flute didn't take nearly enough, then I used a bopper and broke one, perfectly took it out with another. Up next, vice and punch I suppose. Thanks for any help so far!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.