Author Topic: Elvin Bishop sang "Fooled around and fell in love"  (Read 3985 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Elvin Bishop sang "Fooled around and fell in love"
« on: October 10, 2014, 11:58:11 pm »
Always one of my favorite songs of his.  Somehow as a young kid, I always knew it would happen to me.  And it did.  I met her two days ago and I can't seem to get her out of my mind.  I had no sooner met her and she cut me to the quick, and did it over and over.  And now that she is gone, I can't put her out of my mind. 

Fortunately one of the volunteers got a photo of her at the vet's clinic.  She has a broken ulna, but the radius bone next to it is holding it in a fixed position.  About 5 weeks in rehab and the vet will release her back into the wild. 

She's one of the largest prairie falcons I have ever seen.  Strong as heck and full of pepper.  She was in fine condition, very plump and in excellent feather.  I cannot imagine a falcon better suited to her environment.  Just so long as she does not batter herself to death trying to escape, she has a very high likelihood of being back where she belongs.  I told the rehabber that if for some misfortunate reason this bird is nonreleasable, the Black Hills Raptor Center will get the paperwork shifted to take possession of her as an education bird. 

After fooling around and falling in love, I would still prefer she be in the wild where she belongs, but if that's not possible, I can offer her a home! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

Re: Elvin Bishop sang "Fooled around and fell in love"
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:16:24 am »
I saw elvin bishop in concert last year jdub, he may play the hell out of a guitar but the bird has the looks hands down
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:26:53 am »
Even when he was young he was nothing I felt like lingering over.  Not like her.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:05:51 am »
She's beautiful JW!
Lot's of charisma and attitude, like she'll take charge of any situation.
What an awesome bird.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:53:29 am »
Please show photo of her talons so we can see how much you
splurged for the diamond engagement ring.

Beyonce Knowles - Put A Ring On It
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:27:07 pm »
Is that immature plumage JW?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »
That's a great song.  Beautiful bird and great read, J Dub.  Thanks for posting.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 02:58:49 pm »
Mature plumage, DC, far as I could tell. 

Beyonce' is ok, I guess, but she is not all that talon-ted!  Not like this girl:

Prairie falcons and peregrines have HUGE feet for their body size.  Since those are the tools used to snag birds out of the air, casting a wider net means higher success rates.  Falcons do not always kill with the strike, and never by crushing the life from their prey with their feet.  In fact, as raptors go, a falcon's feet are not all that strong....sharp YES, strong no.  Instead, they have a notch in the front of their beak that they do the "tab A into slot B" on the base of the prey's skull and then they snap the vertebrae.  Instant off switch!

Here's another pic of a prairie falcon from 2013, shows that tomial tooth and the notch in the beak:

Just for the sake of keeping the record clear, these two photos are from a bird that was brought in August of 2013.  That bird had a compounded fracture of the metacarpus (hand bones in us, wing tip to a bird).  That bird recovered and was released in just over 4 weeks!  There are far fewer tendons and ligaments up there necessary for flight control like in the mid wing area.  I am seriously hoping this last week's bird didn't damage nerves or tendons, that would ground her for life.  Too much critical flight control in that area, not really built to take much damage and recover. 

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 11:30:45 am »
Very cool photos and info.
I guess they don'r rachet down like Redtails? Seems like falcons may be the more modern type raptor. Like trout are modern type fish.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »
Convergent evolution, Zuma.  Hawks and eagles are related, but falcons separated from the progenitors that became the New World parrots (that tomial tooth and the notch in the beak is seen in many parrots).  Owls are related to whippoorwills/poorwills/chuckwill's widow and nitehawks!  Vultures are related to the family of storks. Modern genetic studies have really shaken up the understanding of bird families.

Hawks and eagles (in general) slam into the prey on the ground for a crushing kill.  Falcons (again, in general) snatch their flying prey from the air.  The hawks and eagles rely on brute strength and falcons on speed and precision.  Since I live next to an Air Force installation, I tell the kids that hawks and eagles are the heavy bombers and falcons are the fighter jets. 

JacksonCash

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
Beautiful birds, and lots of good info.