Author Topic: Reborn Hickory Bow  (Read 3288 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Reborn Hickory Bow
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
Hickory bow that I have to call "Reborn".  57" nock to nock, 1/5/8 wide limbs, 17 oz, B-50 string, 45# @ 27".   

Last spring, I made a 64" long hickory flat bow from some scrap wood that I picked up at a local hickory mill.  It came in light, pulling only about 30lbs.  It had a dismal looking shot in profile - almost three inches of set.  I left it in the corner of my shop and kept eyeing it off and on for a while.  It should have been better!  Well after six months of thinking about it, I finally got around to tweeking it up a bit and I am glad that I did.   I piked the limbs down and then gave the bow a serious heat treating.  I hung some heavy C-clamps and a couple of 18 inch pipe wrenches off the tips just for weight and let the heat gun work it's magic.  This left the bow reflexed a couple of inches.  Hickory is notoriously hard for me to recurve, so I steamed each tip for about an hour and recurved them.  I set it aside to get over all this heat induced torture for a few days and then retillered it.  I left it strung for a day with a 7 1/2 brace height and then shot it in, drawing the bow to 28" several times.  I unbraced it fearing the worst and to my great delight, it stayed dead flat.  Heat treating, piking, reflexing, and recurving all combined to transform a "DOG" into a fine shooting bow.  Here she is - Reborn.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:00:36 pm by H Rhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Reborn Hickory Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:49:41 pm »
Howard you did a great job, that bow looks clean in every shape  - unbraced braced & drawn
very, very nice
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »
Thank you Simon. 

I think this bow needed time to finish drying for a while.  That is probably why the first version of this bow took so much set - moisture content was probably too high.   However it got here, I am pleased with it.  This little bow is well broken in and seems to be very stable.  Hickory soaks up moisture and can be sluggish in the wet weather.  My bows stay indoors in the air conditioning, so I have never found it to be a problem.  I was inspired by Ranger B's first deer of the year posted in the Shooting and Hunting section - this hickory bow was trying hard to look like the one in his post and I hope that it will have some of his good juju before the season ends.  ;D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:38:55 pm »
Another great redo, Howard.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:03:10 pm »
Thanks Pat. 

Here's another full draw.  This bow did have the least amount of propeller twist in the top limb.  It doesn't hurt a thing. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Klondike

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »
Nice bow!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:26:47 pm »
Great save Howard.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:30:41 pm »
Nice work from you Howard...Like these bow save success stories 8) Dry Hickory lends itself well to heat, it's almost a must do to get a good performer like you have there...Great looking bow
                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 03:44:21 pm »
nice congrats

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 04:07:57 pm »
nice redux Howard, maybe it's me but the bottom seems to have a little more bend than the top but if it shoots good that's what counts
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »
Thanks so much everyone.  Yeah, the bottom looks like that a little, but the propeller in the top limb sort of makes it look different everytime.  I might have had it upside down knowing me....
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 07:12:14 pm »
It's all good Howard, the end result is what matters most
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹