Author Topic: First bow tillered.  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Kouret

First bow tillered.
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:32:52 am »
Welp. After lots of hour of reading a researching i started in on my first bow. I wanted to keep it cheap so I went to Menards, twice, to find a suitable hickory board. I decided to make a flat bow. After drawing out the shape on the board I rough cut it with a circular saw and from there on out it was to be hand tools. I figured the bow had better be backed since the grain on the back was violated once on each limb so I went to the local Goodwill and picked up a couple ladies silk blouses.

Later on I ordered some hide glue to put on the backing and wound up having to wait an extra week to get it because the business I chose was slow to deliver  >:( . Anyhow, after hours of shaving I finally had it down to what I thought might be good enough to trough on the home made tillering block. Nope. In hind sight I think the draw weight was still around 200 lbs. Eventually I got to the point I had to steam one of the limb tips to even it out with the other which had a natural reflex. After that I glued on the backing and finished shaving the limbs down. I honestly thought they were going to be thicker.  During tillering I realized the bow had a nasty prop twist.  No biggie though I slung an arrow out of it to see if it would shoot.  Low and behold my first bow shoots and didn't break. Probably not the best bow but it is mine. Made with my two hands and hard work. I will post pics when I can.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: First bow tillered.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
Well done, can't beat the feeling of shooting the first arrow from your first bow.
that first one teaches a lot... mostly about patience >:D  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:38:26 am »
Congratulations!  It will be the first of many. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kouret

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
Thanks! I tried to upload a pic from my phone but it too big.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »
Well done, can't beat the feeling of shooting the first arrow from your first bow.
Del
Well said.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:23:42 pm »
Congratulations. Like Jawge said, it will be the first of many...and each one gets better.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:21:02 pm »
Del
X2

Try using photo bucket! Would love to see it! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!