Author Topic: 63" Hickory psuedo-pyramid board bow  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Dafunk5446

63" Hickory psuedo-pyramid board bow
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:41:48 pm »
Hello everyone

Thought  I would share my most recent bow. It is a 30lbs@24", 63" t2t Hickory bow with purple heart and Leopard wood overlays. The back is lightly trapped and belly heat treated. At the middle of the handle it is 1 1/4" wide, 1 1/2" at the fades, and tapers to just under 3/8"s at the tips. The tips are slightly reflexed and stiff. The board started with around 3/4" inch of reflex and ended almost dead straight. This bow was a sort of salvage job, in that it came from a board which had some sort of fungus or decay in it. I had intended it to be a heavier bow for a friend a while ago, until I had gotten to the decay in the limb. I had to remove a significant amount of wood to get past the damage. So the bow ended up getting chucked in the corner and forgotten. My girlfriend asked me to make her a bow so I brought this out as I figured I could squeak a light one out of it. Due to the damage that had to be removed the tiller wasn't as great as I would have liked,  but I was limited due to trying to keep the weight up... Thankfully she has a really short draw haha. Of course she wanted it to be "pretty", so I made it specifically how she wanted it. She picked the overlays and color for the bow. We used equal parts red and chocolate leather dye as stain, and she tooled and stitched the grip and made her string under my tutelage. I think she did a fine job. The bow actually shoots damn nicely, fast and hard (especially for how light it is), and accurate. She is,  of course,  absolutely in love with it. So I guess I did my job. Hope you like it.

Front profile

Side profile

Down the string

A little Baker-ish

The tips

The details in my horrible handwriting.

Front of grip

Back of grip

Her at fullish draw (needs to build a little muscle as it's a little heavy for her)

Me at true full draw

Thanks everyone,
Austin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:45:56 pm by Dafunk5446 »

Offline Hrothgar

Re: 63" Hickory psuedo-pyramid board bow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »
Nice job 'dolling' it up, looks like a shooter!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »
Its a looker, that's for sure!  Nice job.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
That's some fine teamwork there Defunk........nice results.  Maybe you guys should build more together  ;)
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline son of massey

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:15:15 am »
I like reflex and deflex and kinks and snakes...but man if a nice straight side view profile doesn't grab my eye. Nice, sleek design. It looks like she is standing a bit full on maybe, so her draw is done by her arms, if she stepped into it and used her back she could pry hit that full draw without any problem. Nice looking bow, glad she likes it.

SOM

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:39 am »
Great job man.  That's too cool to have someone appreciate your work, and he'll now you have someone to shoot with.  She did a great job on the handle. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:12:57 am »
Beautiful bow,she should love that. Love the finish work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Klondike

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
Nice work, love the grip!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:23:00 pm »
Nice work Austin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 03:50:14 pm »
very nice, also the leather work. Welcome here
Simon
Bavaria, Germany