Author Topic: fall bugs  (Read 3974 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: fall bugs
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 04:05:13 am »

We had a cabin in the Big Cypress Swamp, and an outhouse, for awhile, till my Dad and cousin set up a water tower, and Pump, and got real indoor plumbing.
But when we had the outhouse, I would take a stick, and a can of raid, and a lighter, when I used it, and of course a flashlight at night.  Well we have a big spider down here in Florida, we just called it a roach spider, but it was pretty much just a BIG brown recluse.  It wasn't a recluse, but I know my Dad got bit by one, and it made a mess on his hand.  Anyway, I would take the stick and whack the toilet lid, and seat  a few times, and then carefully lift them with the stick, and then light the lighter, and spray the raid, all around the rim of the hole, and you could hear a lot of "Things" dropping down. :o  Always made a couple of passes, just to make sure.  And I never caught the outhouse on fire!  ;) 8)  I had one of those big roach spiders jump on my hand one time, and I almost flung my hand off of my wrist!  I was slinging my hand so fast and hard, that when the spider was slung off, it hit the wall, and splattered.  My wrist swelled up, and was sprained, but I was not about to let the thing bite me.  They have big fangs!  As a kid we would take a stick and get the big Golden Silk Spiders, and fling them into another web.  Sometimes they were dinner, and sometime they were the diner. :P   ;)  Not a big fan of spiders, nor scorpions, though I did raise some big ones for awhile. 

Wayne