Author Topic: Cord back for next project  (Read 3536 times)

PK

Cord back for next project
« on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:57 am »
I would like to make a Cord back but not quite sure what length it should be for a 5'10 to 6' person.
I'm gonna go Hog wild and experiment with the wrapping and use twisted silk weave for  the tension cord.
whata think?

Offline DanaM

Re: Cord back for next project
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:51:44 am »
Give it a try Pk never know what ya can do until you try eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »
Hi,
I'm pretty sure there is a write up on cord backed bows in TBB 1.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 01:06:29 pm »
There are a few sources on the net too.  Try searching various terms including "cordage" and "cable".  Both here and Paleoplant have some examples.  This is one of the best sources:   http://www.primitiveways.com/cordage_backed_bow.html

But to answer your question of how much, there really is no firm answer.  I have see numbers about how much sinew is required, but that was to replicate one bow in particular.  One thing about cordage backed bows is that they can be make with various forms of backing, depending on where and how many knots and how many strings, so the amount needed will depend on style. 

I have read that silk would not be good for cordage backing because it does not ... what is the word, rebound?... much after stetching.  Of course sinew is the best.  Nylon is second best.  Perhaps poly and things like nylon would be better than other natural fibers.  Of the natural fibers, Tim Baker suggested sisal as the next best in elasticity.

If I were to use silk, I would use more than I though was necessary and expect to constantly tighten it up.  That way I thing you could slowly use of the "give" in the silk.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:08:27 pm by wolfsire »
Steve in LV, NV

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 06:24:18 pm »
 examples

http :// paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/14055
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:55:47 am by Justin Snyder »
Steve in LV, NV

PK

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:49:35 pm »
Thanks people I almost forgot about this post, almost ready to start, need to work on my other hobby, Noise!

PK

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 11:55:40 pm »