Author Topic: Arrow Pass Location  (Read 2239 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Arrow Pass Location
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
On a bendy handle D bow, is it best to put the arrow pass at the center of the bow?  Or should/could I have the arrow pass an inch or so above center of the bow?  What is the most common and or best way generally speaking?   It seems odd to grip below the center line so the arrow can  pass at the center of the bow. 

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Arrow Pass Location
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:22 pm »
i like the bow to balance in my hand,, and put the rest accordingly ,,, that is usually about 1 inch above center,,, depending on the tiller of the bow that can vary,,,  if the bow shoots like it is the sweet spot, ,go with that,, and measure later,, :)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 09:51:17 pm »
None of my rests are centered they're always a couple inches above center it's really personal choice tho
I like osage

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:46:54 pm »
Thanks.   I don't know all the ins and outs of D bows at all yet and don't remember reading any theories on how it "should" be with this style.  Read plenty about rigid handle bows but not bendies. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:20:21 pm »
if you shoot the bow a bit with no handle or rest,, you will see there is a place that works for you,,,it will probably be a bit above center,, you could put a temp rest with tape or something and try some different spots,, to see which one works best,,, it would probably shoot ok at center,, but I think the balance of the bow in your hand might not feel right,, same if you go to high above center,, the bow will not balance in your hand,,, also take into consideration,,  where you place your hand and rest,, will effect the tiller of the bow,,,,there is a spot the bow will shoot best with a certain arrow,, with your style and grip on the bow,,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 11:30:27 pm »
When I build a bow, bendy or rigid handle I mark the center of the bow and that is the center of the handle. I put my bird finger on the center when I grip the handle and mark the spot at the top of my hand for the arrow pass.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 12:06:23 am »
if you shoot the bow a bit with no handle or rest,, you will see there is a place that works for you,,,it will probably be a bit above center,, you could put a temp rest with tape or something and try some different spots,, to see which one works best,,, it would probably shoot ok at center,, but I think the balance of the bow in your hand might not feel right,, same if you go to high above center,, the bow will not balance in your hand,,, also take into consideration,,  where you place your hand and rest,, will effect the tiller of the bow,,,,there is a spot the bow will shoot best with a certain arrow,, with your style and grip on the bow,,,
This approach works for me.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:17 am »
That is what I do also,move up and down a bit until it  feel and shoots the best. I usually start out a little above center and go from there. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 02:32:29 pm »
When I build a bow, bendy or rigid handle I mark the center of the bow and that is the center of the handle. I put my bird finger on the center when I grip the handle and mark the spot at the top of my hand for the arrow pass.
That's exactly how I do it. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »

Same thing, basically. I don't go exactly from that though, I adjust it up or down a tiny bit depending on where my hand falls comfortably when I hold and draw it.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:42 pm »
I don't put an arrow pass on a bow until I shoot it some.  Usually the PatB plan works great, but once in a while I end up flipping the bow end for end when I find the bottom limb works better on top.  I try to start with a good plan, but once a bow is shot in, the tiller can change a little.  Saving the handle and arrow pass for last is usually a good idea.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi