Author Topic: Splice billets while green?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Splice billets while green?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 02:21:57 pm »
yes green is a pretty wide term,, I am sure if you rough out the staves,,, it will get below 20% pretty quick,, at that point putting the wood in low humidity,, or maybe low heat box,,,you could start working on your bow sooner than most would think,,, yes I think the slower and more patient is optimum,, that being said I have made some very nice bows working on a green stave to floor tiller,,,and a matter of weeks to getting it strung and shooting,, just depends on what you want to do,,,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 02:39:13 pm »
Staves/blanks can be "wet" 10 years after they are cut and they can be "dry" 12 months after they are cut. Relative humidity is about the only factor I consider anymore. I have 5 year old staves in my basement that have sat in 60-80% humidity the whole time, I have 6 month old staves upstairs in 50% humidity. Id use them now and skip past the 5 year old stuff if I was hurried. I usually pick a stave out of my pile and bring it upstairs to equalize for 2-4 weeks. Then get after it. After several hundred successful bows Ive kind of set my own "rules" to follow, seems to work for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:31 pm »
I agree with ya Pearl...relative humidity for the stave is what its all about.  I've have some staves and sinew back bows ready in 15- 20% humidity in a few months.  IMO I think you need a RH meter in you shop or stave storage area at the least.  Anything less than 50% RH @ 70 deg for more than a couple months is good to go.....IMO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking