Author Topic: Black Locust & Sapwood Removal: How important is it.  (Read 3777 times)

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
Black Locust & Sapwood Removal: How important is it.
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:23 pm »
I Working some black locust for the first time, and I am a bit curious about the importance of removing the sap wood. I know the typical thing is to treat it much like osage and only use the heartwood, however I have some staves that may not be large enough to produce enough heart wood for a solid bow. Has anyone here used Black locus with sapwood on? Or is the sapwood structurally insufficient for the job?

Comments and advice welcome!
Giving it your best effort is what anyone should expect.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Black Locust & Sapwood Removal: How important is it.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:25:11 pm »
If you search deep enough, you'll find lots of sapwood backed bows.
So yes, it can be done. You'd still want to chase a ring.
All heart wood BL is much better from what I've heard

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:59 pm »
All heartwood is the best. If there is not enough for a bow get as close as you can to the heartwood.  Sapwood turns into heartwood so the closer sapwood is to heartwood  the denser it is. That's me supposition. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:46:25 pm »
If you search deep enough, you'll find lots of sapwood backed bows.
So yes, it can be done. You'd still want to chase a ring.
All heart wood BL is much better from what I've heard

Thank you very much, and yes I will chase a ring for sure. I had done some digging, but just kept coming up with the same answer of "use only the heartwood". That was why I figured I should ask for some assistance, to see if anyone had some thoughts/advice to the contrary.

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:47:54 pm »
All heartwood is the best. If there is not enough for a bow get as close as you can to the heartwood.  Sapwood turns into heartwood so the closer sapwood is to heartwood  the denser it is. That's me supposition. :) Jawge

Interesting thought on that one..I like it hahah.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:59:14 pm »
I've yet to try one with a sapwood back but I believe i've seen a few done and posted on here. I had a small diameter stave of it that I should have tried it on. Instead like a fool I tore into it and removed the sapwood and ended up with a useless piece of wood that was too narrow and high crowned for a bow. Had I just studied it before going Rambo with the draw knife I would have realized that wasn't a good idea. ;)  Still learning here. ::)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:56:11 pm »
I've yet to try one with a sapwood back but I believe i've seen a few done and posted on here. I had a small diameter stave of it that I should have tried it on. Instead like a fool I tore into it and removed the sapwood and ended up with a useless piece of wood that was too narrow and high crowned for a bow. Had I just studied it before going Rambo with the draw knife I would have realized that wasn't a good idea. ;)  Still learning here. ::)

We are all still learning BB, this is why we ask questions. There is merit to experimenting/"going rambo" too haha. Nothing ventured?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:51:28 pm »
You can make one with a sap back, but it just won't stand up to he performance of a chased ring.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:54:35 pm »
Be sure the stave was handled properly from the stump. Locust sapwood is not rot resistant like the heartwood and will degrade if not handled properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
maybe a good idea to rawhide back or sinew back,, if the sap wood is questionable,,,I am getting ready to make a shorter bow ,, black locust,, and I may need to leave some sap wood,, I plan to sinew back,,, who knows if that will work better,,,, I will just feel better,, :)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 06:23:25 pm »
It's just like Osage, the sapwood can be used no problem. Whether it is as good as the heartwood idk
I like osage

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:54 pm »
IMO black locust and rawhide make a great combo.   So, if you have any question about your back, use some hide so you can sleep at nite.  My thoughts.  Russ. 

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:17 pm »
Be sure the stave was handled properly from the stump. Locust sapwood is not rot resistant like the heartwood and will degrade if not handled properly.

Good to know... but yes it has been handled well. I only cut it two months ago, but it is stripped and sealed up drying indoors. Just doing some preliminary reseach for when the staves are ready.

Offline JLoranger

• JLoranger Illustration
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 11:19:08 pm »
It's just like Osage, the sapwood can be used no problem. Whether it is as good as the heartwood idk

This was my initial thinking as well, and I will most likely just give it a shot anyway haha. I am sure the sapwood is still more dense and strong than many of the other wood species I have worked in the past. It probably just wont perform as highly as a pure heartwood bow.