Author Topic: No more awkward angled scissors or hot knives!  (Read 3891 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
No more awkward angled scissors or hot knives!
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »
A guy at work heard I was into "the whole wooden bow thing"  :D and wanted me to have something from back in his recurve days... well I can tell you hes getting something nice from me even if he didnt want anything at first!

Never tried one before, any tips or pointers from you guys?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: No more awkward angled scissors or hot knives!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:20:39 pm »
Never had one or used one, but knew a guy who had one. Number One Tip: Use it outside. Especially if you're married.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »
It does stink when you are burning feathers. I use mine on the front porch.
 Just start using it. You will figure out how to do it. Keep constant pressure(not too much)against the nock and turn the shaft slowly but positively.  The Young Feather Burner I have came from an old timer also.
 You can get new ribbons from 3Rivers. I keep a few preshaped and a few extra straight ones for future shapes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »
I have an old one like that.  I had to sand some corrosion off where the ribbons are held to get good contact and let it heat up.  I use a small brush to clean the ribbon off between arrows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Used my friends once and the smell was horrible.
My arrows reeked for a week, I went back to scissors

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »
So its a real... stinker huh? ;D, I know the stink well, similar to bone and antler when I burned in designs and my hot knife technique left my wood shop stinking for a day or two. I dont mind smells so much, Ive done a lot of plumbing and farm work. Also I LOVE butchering so if it stinks I bet Ive smelled worse.

Thanks for the info guys, cant wait to give it a try.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »
Unless you have branded cattle/horses, you have NOT smelled worse!  Outside, windy day, when you have a headcold, leave your clothes outside for a week to air out...and there is really nothing better for getting matched fletching on a set of arrows.  Nothing faster, nothing easier to adjust or modify.  I absolutely love mine. 

When I went to order mine from a shop in Oregon, the guy spent 5 minutes trying to talk me out of it.  I finally told him that I was buying one from him or from someone else, did he have recommendations as to who I should send the money to??? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 10:21:33 pm »
It does smell a little bit.  I burn them in the garage and put a fan behind me to blow the smoke away.  After a day or two I don't notice the smell on the arrows at all. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:38 pm »
Ok JW, I thought I put in my time being lowered into a septic tank to help my dad look for leaks and water flow!!! :laugh: I havent branded anything but myself so far! I would try a deer but these darn broad heads make it hard... maybe a branding head... >:D

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 02:35:55 am »
I don't use my burner very often but I did notice that the ribbon expands as it heats up. I had to do some sampling to be sure it was set for being hot rather than the cold setting... did that make sense?
When I used it I was putting the fletching on bamboo shafts that were not perfectly straight under the feathers. If I used the bamboo on the burner the feathers would have been all wonky as the shaft moved in and out as I turned the shaft to burn the feathers. Instead, I tack glued the feathers to a straight aluminum shaft, burned the feathers, then stripped the shaped fletching off the aluminum shaft and glued them to the bamboo shaft. Worked like a charm.
You won't need to do that for doweled wood shafts but if you're using natural shoot shafts that may be the slightest bit wonky it's something to consider.

Guy

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 08:39:07 am »
I don't use my burner very often but I did notice that the ribbon expands as it heats up.

I agree. The shape/size does change some when heated up. You want to test it first.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 11:29:45 am »
I have one an older gentleman gave me , they are handy , and smell no worse than burning any other animal >:D
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 01:21:16 pm »

It is like living on a dairy,......you get used to  it, and don't really notice it.  Eeeeeew!  :o  What's that smell? :P  Lucky you, those are nice!

Wayne
what smell? ::)