Author Topic: Update on my knarly hickory project  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Puckaway

Update on my knarly hickory project
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:47:07 am »
I got my hickory bow bending. This very is challenging for me, since it will hopefully be my second bow that actually turns out.  Any suggestions are welcome. The limb with the 2 knots is going to have to be my top limb, due to the fact that if I flip the bow the string would lay good for a lefty and I'm not. Unless I heat the handle and try to straighten things out. I've got to keep the limb I originally  planned for my bottom to be my top. I got this stave at a primitive skills gathering in northern WI. several years ago. I arrived a day after the event started and got the ugly duck nobody else wanted. I've since put up more staves of other species as well as more Hickory. I need to either turn this into a hunter or break it, learn, and move on. Any thought on heating? oil the handle? heat with heat gun and clamp or just finish as is?

Offline Puckaway

Re: Update on my knarly hickory project
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:53:50 am »
The pictures were at a lower brace. I'm just scraping away at it. I've only pulled the thing to about 14". I feel confused a lot with this thing because nothing is straight. I really just don't know how far to push this.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Update on my knarly hickory project
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:21:17 am »
From the side profile make sure it's the same thickness from one side to another on those humps. Sometimes u almost have to dig them out a little with the scraper. Also the belly tells the story for me when tillering. How even the rings are says a lot about your taper
Nothing ventured nothing gained