Author Topic: Frequency and Longevity  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Shooter

Frequency and Longevity
« on: January 05, 2008, 11:27:58 pm »
How long do you think a wooden bow should last before it's shot? Number of shots? Seasons? Years?

How often should a wooden bow be shot to keep its form? Number of shots per week/month?

I know there are too many variables to give a definite answer to any of those questions. Just wondering what your experiences have been with the different bows you've owned/built.

Some of us greenhorns would really appreciate any stories or experiences from folks who have some years behind them.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Frequency and Longevity
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:48:22 am »
Bruce, I would say a wood bow could last a lifetime if taken care of. I have put thousands of arrows through bows will little if any negative reaction. If a bow sits for years it probably needs to be worked back up to full draw by exercising it in graduating pull length until full draw is reached.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:57:50 am »
i think different style/designs vary in life span.  if tillered correctly, longer bows are under less stress per amount of wood in the bow than short bows or recurves.  i have a 66" osage pyramid bow that has been shot several thousand times and looks to have several thousand more.  while some of my short statics and recurves show wear after a thousand shots or less.  of course i'm not a professional bowyer so my skills may be lacking.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:43:30 am »
I have had an osage bow for about 8 years now and I go this bow regularly for shooting. It really hasnt changed in all those years. I do notice the weight fluctualtes a little with the humidity, just a couple of pounds. Most bows I seldom give a real good test to as I make so many and change bows so often. I gave a friend a yew bow about 5 years ago that he shoots all the time, it's his only bow, hasnt lost any draw weight yet. Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:50 am »
Like Chris said, I think it depends on the style and wood that the bow's made from. I've got a couple that have thousands of arrows shot through them and still look and feel about the same as they did to begin with. I have noticed that one ash bow has taken on a bit more set after years of shooting and being strung all day hunting for days on end in all kinds of weather, but it's still a good shooter. I'd say that an overbuilt Comstock-style bow would probably last for a lifetime if taken care of, while a high-performance pushing-the-envelope speed demon might burn out after a while. Most of us make and shoot so many different bows that we'll probably never actually wear one out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

wvfknapper

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:25:42 pm »
I figure a lot of how long a bow will last has to do with how often the bow is flexed and how well the finish is up kept and also to what extent a person goes to keep the wood at a proper moisture.

wvflintknapper

Slivershooter

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:51:15 pm »
I usually don't hang on to or shoot my selfbows long enough to make a definitive conclusion.  However, I do have a couple that have been around for ten to twelve years that still shoot really well.  They might not shoot as well as my newer one bows, but hopefully I have learned some over the years and currently build a better bow.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 03:04:04 pm »
I've seen osage bows which were 100 years old and still performing well. Lemonwood bows which are 70 plus and working. I recently got an incredible knife in payment for a bow which I thought I gave to a friend as a gift 20 years ago.  He has been making Okuden knives and said he still really enjoyed the bow..So that was a big stoker naturally.

Rich

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 03:26:29 pm »
I think some one said that high stress bows can last several thousamd shots, but a low stress, Comstock-style bow will out last you ;).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:35:20 pm by Kegan »

Offline Shooter

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:00:52 pm »
Thanks very much, guys. Mighty nice of you all.