Author Topic: persimmon  (Read 1251 times)

Offline occupant

persimmon
« on: August 12, 2014, 12:09:45 am »
I need some input on persimmon. Is the sapwood good for anything or remove it completely? Flexibility? Never used it before and don't know of anyone that has. It was cut last winter and weighs as much as green osage of that size.

Offline autologus

Re: persimmon
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:27 am »
Persimmon is in the ebony family and is very dense.  It can make a good bow.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:01 am »
Treat it as a whitewood and use what's under the bark as your back. Persimmon is pretty hard and pretty heavy. They make golf club heads out of it. I made a persimmon Holmie style bow last winter that turned out pretty good. Koan has it now so you will have to ask him about how it shoots. Persimmon lends itself well to heat tempering and light manipulation wit dry heat.  It's heavy so keep the tips as small as possible. Worked well with a Holmie and probably with a Mollie...or just a good old flat bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:21:02 am »
What PatB said. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:13:18 am »
I have made two bows of it. Both took to heat tempering amazingly. I think you should heat treat the belly on all persimmon bows. Matter of fact, next weekend I may go to the lake to find me some. Its an awesome bow wood.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others