Author Topic: Any cheap tricks for installing a string nock?  (Read 5219 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Any cheap tricks for installing a string nock?
« on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:01 pm »
Any cheap tricks for installing a string nock on a self bow without an arrow rest (or, for that matter, with an arrow rest)? Or, should buy some sort of gizmo to help me? If so, any suggestions?
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Any cheap tricks for installing a string nock?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 09:02:44 pm »
I've been tying a few knots of serving and soaking it in super glue.  Works just the same as a crimp on brass nocking point
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »
Thanks. How do you line up the knot/nock?
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »

I use a bow square.....or you can use a carpenter square 90 deg to the string laying the blade of the square on the rest or arrow pass.  I usually start with the nock 3/8" above 90 deg. And nock the arrow below the nock point. As for nock point material I use dental floss and super glue.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline coyote1956

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:42:58 pm »
well figure your gonna have the arrow pass the riser somewhere on middle of bow , right....   nock arrow on string at that point , raise nock of arrow slightly above 90 degree 1/4" up or so to start, mark your string there.  take dental floss or wha have you, i use red fast flight string cause i have it,  tie a overhand knot like tying your shoe lace, go back and forth upwards tie one facing you then next on back side go up several ties then back down if you want it thicker, tie square knot or surgeons knot  and cut  nock string,  not bow string !!!!!!  burn ends be carefull do not even touch flame to bow string,, press with finger to make a melted spot pressed into nock string, you can usaully  twist it up n down your bow string then to set for your needed nock height , thats as best i can explain it.  Ken 
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »
Found this a while back.  Works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8EghWvyUcA

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 11:07:31 pm »
I put an unfletched arrow on the string and move it until it looks about right.  Then I check it with a framing square and put it just a little above 90 degrees.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:13:33 pm »

I use a bow square.....or you can use a carpenter square 90 deg to the string laying the blade of the square on the rest or arrow pass.  I usually start with the nock 3/8" above 90 deg. And nock the arrow below the nock point. As for nock point material I use dental floss and super glue.
DBar

Same here DBar.   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:49 pm »
Grab the bow where you normally would and make a mark at the top of your bow hand. That is your arrow pass. I also use a bow square and mark about 1/4" to 3/8" above square. I nock above the string nock so that will make a difference.
 For a simple string nock tie a nail knot on the bow string(serving) with about 6 or 8 wraps. You want to be able to adjust the string nock and with this knot you can screw or unscrew the nock to adjust it up or down. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 09:11:24 am »
Thanks, ya'll. That helps.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 09:42:54 am »
I don't measure anything, mark the arrow pass, put a brass nock on the string and move it up and down until it looks right to my trained eye, shoot the bow and watch the arrow flight, move the nock up or down a little until I get the best arrow flight with the least hand shock, call it done.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:12 am »
If you don't have square, you can fold a piece of paper and put the string in the crease to find 90 degrees.  I usually start with a nock point 3/8" to 1/2" above that and see how it shoots.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »
That is what I have been doing, Eric. Thanks for the confirmation!