Author Topic: Heat-guns  (Read 5510 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heat-guns
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 08:19:02 am »
My Wagner has done maybe 100-120 bows that either were tempered or just manipulated. Its starting to cool off on the high speed and spit sparks, but still works.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 10:14:54 am »
I made this heat gun holster on the side of my work bench to prevent further rapid trips to the floor.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 11:02:58 am »
Over 10 years but I am sure you have used yours more than I've used mine, Marc. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:40 am »
  I use a wagoner masters which is kind expensive. I buy parts for it when needed. Heating elements two or three times in 10 years, one switch, 1 new blower fan. I usually keep extra motor brushes and replace them durring routine repairs.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »
The first one I bought lasted about 5 years then one of the wires burnt through so I took it apart and was able to fix it, it lasted another couple of years after that but it was never the same.  Then I got another that lasted 5 years as well.  I use mine mostly for heat-treating.  I went out the other day to buy another and was a bit shocked at how much they have increased in price.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »
I've used 2 in the last 25 years. 15 yr old Makita is still working but has seen it's better days. I was in the leather and vinyl restoration business so they got extensive use and some might say abuse.
Still seems to be holding up but has a finicky rheostat which I'm sure could be replaced if the parts are available.

Forgot to mention, at the time they were high dollar tools.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »
This is sort of on topic, but can anyone give me opinions on two different guns? I went up to Menards last night and looked what they had.

From what I've read here it seems Wagner is a pretty reliable brand. The two that I was looking at were the HT1000 and the HT3500. The first is $23 and has only two settings, 750 and 1000 degrees. The 3500 is on sale for $40 and has twelve settings between 250 and 1350 degrees.

How much would I benefit from the extra settings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 12:45:51 pm »
Tony the HT1000 will do all you want it to do. Its easier to just move the gun closer or farther away than to try to find the perfect setting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.