Author Topic: draw knife advice  (Read 8913 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: draw knife advice
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 01:02:23 pm »
I currently have 5, straight and curved blade. I use them all, which one depends on the wood I'm working. They all have a different personality. Draw knives are like bows, you can't have too many although you will find a favorite.
Don't discount a good 8". I have an old 8" Keen Kutter that is in "as new condition" that will work for most any application. My others are all 10".
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
The Flexcut brand came highly recommended from the employees at my local wood working shop. He likes that they flex, and aren't prone to breaking or chipping if used wrong by a novice. They are also about half the cost of the Swiss Made ones. I have a 4 inch straight, and a 6 inch curved, I like them both.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline gifford

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:30 pm »
To each his own, I prefer straight handle drawknives or drawknives with a angled handled. I can't abide the drawknives with handles perpendicular to the blade. I know most folks use these, I just can't use them as well as I can those with 'gull wing handles' or straight handles. One excellent bowyer I know prefers the ones made in France with a ball on the handle. YMMV

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »
Hi
be very careful of refurbished draw blades. Ive had a few that have been reground and overheated, ruining the temper of the steel. Generally the older the better, unless you can get a friendly blade smith to make one for you one from good carbon steel, it all depends on how much you want to spend......

Offline Drewster

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:45 pm »
If you can find an old "Worth" drawknife that is in pretty good shape, buy it.  They are fine vintage tools.  I have bought two.....and 8" and a 6", both with slightly curved blades.  An 8" seems an ideal length for me.  Yes, look for a blade that isn't nicked or too badly worn.  And the back needs to be absolutely flat.  The handles should be nice and tight.  You don't want them rolling or flopping around.  Check the big auction site.  A Worth drawknife will show up once in a while.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Bloodhound

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:33 am »
I have a few, big old straight gets used for roughing, that flexcut knife is really awesome for chasing rings though, has become one of my favorite tools, can be almost as delicate as a scraper but still hog off some wood when needed. It dosnt replace the big one for roughing and removing bark though. I am asking for the gransfors bruks draw knive for Christmas this year.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:53 am »
I have some older,AKA vintage, drawknives and I do think that the slightly curved blades work better, for me, when roughing out and chasing a ring.
I also have a Mora carvers drawknife and that smaller double bevel flexible blade works well in some applications.
YMMV

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:40 pm »
Just bought an 8 inch Dunlap draw knife. that Fred helped me find.  I appreciate all the help.  Can't wait for my new toy to arrive and start making some wood chips.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 08:09:49 pm »
Jeff, I think you did good. Even though that knife is old as dirt it still looks new. Good steel should last you a long time, like forever and on to your offspring.
I purchased an old 8" Keen Kutter in that condition (old but new) and paid almost twice what you did.
Now time to shave some wood and chase some rings.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline streamflyer

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 11:17:51 pm »
I have that 5 inch curved flexcut and it is nice for precise cuts but when chasing a growth ring and really hogging off wood I have found that a heavier straight edge is far easier to work with, especially in my super green hands. I make few mistakes with the larger heavier straight edged draw knife.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 09:14:07 am »
The "problem" with the Keenkutter tools is that there is a lot of collector interest in that old brand and that drives up the price for us "users"...