Author Topic: Bamboo backed longbow question  (Read 2914 times)

Offline marcfrdly

Bamboo backed longbow question
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:21:58 pm »
This may be a dumb idea, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I try it. I lifted a six inch splinter on the  bamboo backed yew  I was working on. My question is, what if I sanded down the bamboo back flat, then glued another bamboo backing on this one. In my mind it would be like a lamination. Should I try it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo backed longbow question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »
What glue did you use? If Titebond you can separate the boo from the belly with heat.  To answer your question, yes you can grind the boo flat and add another boo backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline marcfrdly

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:56:02 pm »
I used unibond.  Pat B thanks,  I always appreciate your posts. You regular guys don't know how much knowledge you all share.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:59:42 am »
I've had that happen with boo, I glued it down with ca and put a little wrap on it that was at least 4 years ago and still shooting
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:03:15 am »
If you're going to go to the trouble of sanding the back flat you might as well go all the way to the belly wood.
Gordon

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:44:10 am »
It is  perfectly possible to sand the splintered bamboo flat (or grind it away completely) and add a new lam of bamboo. Remember that only the outer bamboo layer is the backing, so the middle lam of bamboo (if you left any) is just a core. It would thicken the bow probably, boosting the draw weight.
It is also important to find out why the bamboo lifted a splinter in the first place. Did you damage the nodes? Or perhaps the corners were still sharp and not properly rounded? Sometimes it seems to be down to just bad luck.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline marcfrdly

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
Looking back I started thinning the sides, which recreated the sharp edges on the backing. Learned a lot from this one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »
If you're going to go to the trouble of sanding the back flat you might as well go all the way to the belly wood.

That's my vote as well. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:35 pm »
I did a boo backed Yew... the glue line wasn't up the scratch so I planed, rasped, filed and scraped it all off and re-did the backing. Yeah, it was real fun ;)
Seriously it didn't take that long to re-do it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:16:13 pm »

That's my vote as well.

X3 especially if you have access to a band saw and belt sander.