Author Topic: Need help with sapling thickness tapering with pics  (Read 1252 times)

birdpointlightstring32

Need help with sapling thickness tapering with pics
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:16:06 pm »
Working on hickory sapling forty eight inch bow bend in handle idea would be low twenties draw length. I made a few mistakes tillering thickness. I should of started an inch thick and got my taper but instead got an even thickness of six tenths thickness through entire length and now doing thickness taper. Also looks at knot pictures you think this is okay? any hints on how to thickness taper this would help me out. saplings are proving difficult. Last bow I used a micrometer and cant draw a thickness taper with this sapling because it is not straight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Need help with sapling thickness tapering with pics
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 02:53:25 am »
One way I have used in the past on longbows.
Work out the thickness every 6" or other convenient distance.
Rasp/file etc the belly to give that thickness for just the width of the rasp at eack of your 6" marks, then use spokeshave/rasp light sabre, whatever, to blend in between the spots. Use fingers to check for even blend.
It's surprisingly quick and effective.
BTW, I find it very good to use inches for measuring along the bow but mm for thickness as they are a nice convenient size and often the nearest 1/2 mm is close enough.
E.g On a longbow, I rough out the taper to either 1.6 or 2mm every 6 "
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

birdpointlightstring32

Re: Need help with sapling thickness tapering with pics
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:24:40 am »
thank you Del. As you can tell I don't get a chance to produce a bow but once every in a blue moon. I am an once a year bowyer with work spread across the whole year. Family first but last year made my toddler his first bow for his first birthday. First word was ball next word was bow. Teaching that little guy and watching his progress is amazing. I will post the end product hopefully in next few weeks.