Author Topic: DIY tobacco pipe?  (Read 23290 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: DIY tobacco pipe?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 02:12:05 pm »
Must be pipe month...I have LOTS of maple burl, and am going to make one for a friend down the road. He just the other day gave me 3 of his burnt out pipes for patterns. Post it when it's done.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 10:35:31 am »
I love a good pipe.  Here are some I made.

My favorite pipe (the catlinite is far more polished now from use than in this photo) ...

Some cherry burl ones  (i do not believe the pewter is needed, but the Great Lakes originals I was looking at had it)...

A big fancy one...
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline JonathanResnicks

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 07:59:14 am »
Honestly I feel the best way to start building a collection of pipes is to hunt through Ebay for estate pipes then clean them up, ream em, do bowl soaks, stem soaks and then just get to puffing. Also if you want the absolute best wood for making a pipe I'd suggest ordering a pre-aged pre-dried brier block and some vulcanite to make stems. I've made a few pipes this way and love em all to bits!

As stated though corn cobs are an easy way to go, and hickory makes a great stem for a cob pipe. Just make sure you pack the base to avoid burn out. Also I'm surprised your local smoke shop didn't have something like a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe most shops have em en mass.
One thing to keep in mind is that whatever wood you try and use you must be sure it is properly dried and aged. If the wood has too much tanic (I think thats the term I'm looking for) acid it will make a terrible pipe! It'll be bitter, and give you tongue bite. I learned that lesson with cherry wood, and juniper when I first got into pipe smoking. Now I'm a briar... I can't help it D: (This from the guy with a 98+ pipe collection....yep I'm addicted to collecting pipes...)

Haha, understandable! I hesitate to call our local store a "smoke shop", since it's that plus a liquor store. They actually have some decent ecigs, and a good selection of tobacco, but most of the pipes they sell are for "alternative" smokers. :s

I was actually looking around last night and stumbled onto these: They looked pretty cool, and I heard good things about them. And for $4, you can't really screw it up too bad.  ;D

Well they looks pretty cool.. I do have some cool collection of pipes and looking to add to my collection very soon.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:40:21 pm by JonathanResnicks »