Author Topic: Shave Horse  (Read 2319 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Shave Horse
« on: July 13, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »
I have been working on this for a few days. It isn't on the same level with some of the others I have seen on here, but it is a huge step up from how I have been working. I used a 10 foot 2X12 and a 12 foot 4X6 that I had to risk my life fishing out of a swollen creek last fall, as well as a 2X4 from a pallet and a section of Maple the the Arborist I work with saved for me. Tools used were a miter saw, circular saw, jig saw, drill, 1 inch paddle bit, 3/8ths drill bit and a staple gun. The leather on the angled board and the Maple section I got from another member (Thanks Tyke).

I have learned a lot thus far from the community here. The most important is you can take someones advice that knows, or you can do it how you want and end up doing what someone advised you to do. I thought I could get away with using a plane and a knife to build my first bow. Here it is a month or more later and I am not done, and have bought pretty much all the tools I was advised to in the beginning.

I now have a 3 inch Flexcut draw knife, a cabinet scraper, proper spring clamps, a farriers rasp, a Tillering Gizmo and a shave horse. I have a 5 inch Flexcut on the way to strip logs, and a spokeshave. Lets hope that that finishing the first and completing a second comes in less than a month. Here are the photos.

I didn't add a foot rest on the arm, as I think that it will be more comfortable for me to be able to stand, kneel or sit, so I added the 14 inch cord. I can just grab the arm and push it back to adjust my stave. The arm also have several holes to adjust for thicker or thinner wood. The leather is there to aid in gripping the wood.  Let me know what you think.

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Shave Horse
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
That looks like it'll work joe.  I have never used one personally, but it is on my list.  I have a shop to work in but, it's not at my house.  It would be nice to get one for my house.  Let me know how it works for ya :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »
The angle of the table (or whatever its called) is too steep making it hard to work on the bow.  Other than that I looks good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:23:50 pm »
Pat, I thought of that also. I actually had it steeper than that to begin with. That is also one of the reasons that I made the Arm on a bungee vs, a foot board. Kneeling it isn't too bad. What Angle would you suggest? I also thought that If it were a bit too steep that I could just cut off some of the rear legs to adjust that to a sharper angle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:38:27 pm »
You want it so its comfortable to work on the stave while sitting on the bench. Maybe half what it is now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »
Perfect, I will see what I can do tomorrow to fix that. I really do appreciate the feedback and knowledge I get from you guys, If I ever come off as being argumentative I apologize.

Offline tanner

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »
I made one early this year too. I absolutely LOVE it for scraping during tillering, but I think I need to tweak my design a little bit. The problem is that if I want to access one entire limb at a time, it's hard to angle it so that it's not jabbing me. I believe I've seen guys put swiveling or slightly off-center seats on their's for this reason. Also - I made mine so that there's a separate wedge that dictates the angle. That way I can shim it up or down to work on thicker or thinner pieces. Here's a pic:

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 03:56:08 pm »
That is one of the reasons that I thought that my angle would be better than a lower angle. Working a full limb all I have to do is kneel on the bench. I also thought of making an adjustable wedge, but didn't due to lack of time and the right hinges. Yours looks good.