Author Topic: River Cane spine...again?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline nclonghunter

River Cane spine...again?
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:23 pm »
I have read many times to put the stiff side of the cane towards the bow. Now, it makes me curious if you are shooting a 50# bow and you test your cane shaft for spine and as you roll it you get 70# on one side, 60# on another and 50# on another; Why would you put the 70# side towards the bow?

It makes more sense to me that the 50# side would go towards the bow. If not, why would the 70# side go towards the bow?

Getting ready to spine some shafts and I have been mauling this over..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: River Cane spine...again?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:36:57 pm »
Because of the way an arrow paradoxes around the bow it should fly best with the stiff side against the bow and if possible the next stiffest side down on the arrow rest, shelf, hand, etc. The latter is less critical. If you have a cane arrow that spines 70# the natural taper of the cane will allow it to shoot like a 60# spined arrow. Cut it at 30" and it will fly like a 50# spined arrow. So the 70# spined arrows should shoot well from your 50# bow if you cut it t 30".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »
Listen to Pat.he knows his cane.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:55:20 pm »
Hi Steve, "Seabass" haven't seen you here in a while...................

I agree with Pat...... using a 125 gr point.  The fingers release adds to the archers paradox also.......therefore, stiffer side to side helps.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:26:36 am »
Pats right if you don't foreshaft your cane..I spine mine at 60 to 70 cut 25 inches then 3 to 4 inch foreshaft ...they fly great out of 50 to 60 lb bow ..points are flint and weigh from 95 to 115..my draw is 26.5....gut