Author Topic: identifying cascara  (Read 2085 times)

Offline wizardgoat

identifying cascara
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:44 pm »
Cascara is one of the last pacific Northwest bow woods I've yet to identify.
Its a tricky one for me, the leaves look similar to so many other things, to me anyways.
when do the dark berries come out, and what sort of habitats should I be looking in? Cheers

Offline 4giveme

Re: identifying cascara
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »
Hi,
I think your talking about the Rhamnus cathartica, if so it is the common buckthorn tree. If you go to google and type in "Rhamnus cathartica identification" you can tell me if this is what you are referring too.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:13 pm »
There are lots of varieties of Buckthorn, but on the PNW I think we most commonly have Rhamnus purshiana.  While it has some generic similarities to things like alders and such, once you get the hang od it its pretty easy to ID.  The bark is characteristically smooth, with some splotchy white patches.  It doesn't get nearly so big as Alders do and the leaves have a shinier more waxy look.  Reddish to black berries.

If you really want to ID eat, chew on a little of the fresh bark and wait for a few minutes.  But have some Toilet paper handy  >:D >:D >:D  ;)  Cascara is a wonderful laxative.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:31:34 pm »
Ya Rhamnus purshiana is what I mean.
Do you know when the berries start to show or are
they already?

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:23 pm »
berries are on it right now and falling off. Looks alot like alder bot generally an understory tree.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:47 pm »
Yup, berries are ripe and falling here in Oregon right now.  Like Gabe said, once you get an eye for it, it is easy.  For me, the branching pattern gives it way.  Hard to describe, but once you find one study the branching pattern a bit.  Like an upside down umbrella that for some reason reminds me of an octopus ?! ::)

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm sure like many trees, as soon as you figure them out you see them everywhere. Would love to add this one to my list.