Author Topic: Tiller Check- Updated New Pics  (Read 3205 times)

Offline J05H

Tiller Check- Updated New Pics
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:48:55 pm »
I figured a get a few opinions on this one. It seems like its going good, but I can't shake the feeling that the outer thirds should be moving more. I had a similar feeling on one yesterday and I broke it in the outer third of the upper limb, so my confidence is a bit shaken. I think I was just trying to go too fast, so I thought I'd take this one real slow and get some expert advice before I mess it up too. It's been a while since I made a full size bow, so I'm probably just a bit rusty. Anyway thanks in advance.

This one is osage 67" ntn with a 10" handle section because of some knots and about 1 1/8" wide out to 6" from the 1/2" tips.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:31:21 pm by J05H »
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:44:25 pm »
Looking good so far. I don't see anything you should change in that tiller. The reflex is just starting to unfold nicely. Does your draw weight allow you to pull it an inch or two further?
Remember that the parallel width for most of the limb length is best off with an elliptical tiller.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline J05H

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:44 pm »
Does your draw weight allow you to pull it an inch or two further?

Yes. The drawn pic is at 35# and I'm shooting for 45#. I've worked it a little since I took that pic. I'll post some more pics tomorrow.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 03:25:35 am »
Get it drawn to target weight asap!
As for the tiller then I personally wouldn't want any more bend for the first 6 inches out of the fades. Work on mid to outers for now. As Darksoul says elliptical tiller.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:53:54 am »
Get it drawn to target weight asap!
As for the tiller then I personally wouldn't want any more bend for the first 6 inches out of the fades. Work on mid to outers for now. As Darksoul says elliptical tiller.
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline J05H

Re: Tiller Check - Updated New pics
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »
So I worked it some since posting yesterday, and I've got it out to 45#@25". Only 3 inches to go. It looks to me like the right limb is too stiff overall and not bending enough in the outer half, and the left limb is bending too much just in from mid-limb. I may not make weight by the time I get it right. Critique is wanted and welcome. Thanks in advance. Here are the pics.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 05:40:39 pm by J05H »

Offline J05H

Re: Tiller Check- Updated New Pics
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
After a bit more looking, I think my problem may be not enough bend in the right fade. What do you guys think.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »
Out from the right fade isn't bending enough and about a foot out from the fade on the left limb is bending too much.

Offline J05H

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »
Its looking a lot better now. This is 48# at 28".

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 09:21:41 pm »
It's looking pretty good. But you have like a mollegabet tiller going on. While your bow does not have stiff levers. It is a result of the limb being too wide near the ends. Your limbs are still 1 1/8" wide 7" from the tips, correct? In the area about 10" to 5" from the tips, the limb would have to be VERY thin in order to start bending. I would start tapering the tips earlier on. Taper the limb about 12" from the tips, to a uniform width taper, ending in ½" wide tips. You will essentially be doing side tillering by removing the excess width near the tip area. It will allow more bend in the outer limbs, which is beneficial for the elliptical tiller you're after.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline J05H

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:58:01 pm »
It's looking pretty good. But you have like a mollegabet tiller going on. While your bow does not have stiff levers. It is a result of the limb being too wide near the ends. Your limbs are still 1 1/8" wide 7" from the tips, correct? In the area about 10" to 5" from the tips, the limb would have to be VERY thin in order to start bending. I would start tapering the tips earlier on. Taper the limb about 12" from the tips, to a uniform width taper, ending in ½" wide tips. You will essentially be doing side tillering by removing the excess width near the tip area. It will allow more bend in the outer limbs, which is beneficial for the elliptical tiller you're after.

Yes its still full width 7 or maybe 8 inches from the tips. Its pretty thick too. I was planning to work the tips down some to reduce the mass at the tips, but I never thought of side tillering to get the tips to come around some more. I appreciate the advice. I'll try to work it as you suggest if I get some time tomorrow. For the time being, I appreciate all the advice I've gotten so far.

Thanks, Josh