Author Topic: Caul Shape  (Read 7159 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Caul Shape
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:48 pm »
  I will price it out I think maple is about 10.00 bd ft down here.
I hope not that would be like robbery
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Don Case

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »
  Don, I was just going by memory so you might wait till someone reviews it. I refine mine a bit on the belt sander after I get the initial shape done with the lines.

Your memory worked. I've got a bow clamped in it now ;D ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 06:58:04 am »
Glad to hear that Don,nothing like a good cal. We have several with all different shapes,more reflex/less reflex/RD/flipping tips or recurve you can make them and experiment a lot of different ways, but for just initial straighting and reflex [what Steve said] Gary's seem to work the best,not to much and not to little. As far as clean up,no matter what I cut them with I always have to do a little sanding or rasping to smooth it out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:13 am »
Badger, can you post some pictures of Gary's caul design?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:12 am »
Badger, can you post some pictures of Gary's caul design?

Pappy's "life is good" thread is full of pics of them!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 07:56:52 am »

I got the design from Twin Oaks, as Bukeye said, go to the life is good thread, you will see plenty of pics.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:07 am »
Got it, thank you

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:45 am »
Here is the caul i made after Pearl drums posted his a while back. the pictures show what he means about using a yardstick to form the smooth bend.

Hey pearly i didn't notice your last post on this old thread about "Golder Lopher!", like my grandpa used to say, "I resemble that remark". It was my junior year as a Gopher when the gophers had the worst collapse/choke job ever against Michigan, and thats saying something, 'cause the Gophers have had a lot of collapses!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37851.msg501777.html#msg501777
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 10:05:53 am »
Thanks for the pics. Im not good at explaining things, pic are so much better at that than I.

Im a Lions fan Gopher, I know all about collapses and failures!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:03 pm »
Thanks for the link Gopher! I like the backboard. Would 1/2" or 3/4" plywood be stiff enough for that? It would make it lighter. Not that a little exercise would kill me. There is sure a lot of molds and jigs in the hobby, almost as bad as my model sailboats.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »
I made the caul badger described last night. Once I figured it out it came together pretty quick and easy.
Does the back board ever deflect heat and scorch the back?
When you are heating your limbs, do you put a weight on your tips or just push with your hand?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »
It will scorch the back if your not careful. I rub oil on the back to keep that from happening. I prefer to make all my bends at once, that's why I backed mine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 06:24:01 am »
Like Pearl said you have to be careful or will scorch the back, just heat slow and keep the heat gun a few inches away and keep it moving and you shouldn't have much trouble,small learning curve but you will figure pretty quick how to keep that from happening. I also get the wood hot enough you can touch it but you know you don't want to hold it,not to scientific  but that is the only way I know how to explane it. I use c clams to pull everything in like I want it.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 07:39:03 am »
Looks great.  Thank you for posting your pictures gopher.