Author Topic: First Osage Bow stave Help  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

First Osage Bow stave Help
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:43 am »
Hey all, I just got my very first Osage stave in the mail and I've got a few questions. the stave is about 3.00 inches wide the entire length and 59 and 3/4 long. I want a bow that draws 55 to 60# from what I have read it seems like I could go 1.5 inches wide with OSAGE to get that weight at 26-28 inches would that width be sufficient? If so do you think I could split this stave and possibly get two bows? I would be comfortable going up in width to make sure that I have as little set as possible I Like to take my limbs out parrallel for about .5 to .66 the length of the limb and then taper to about .5 inches. I will also add some slight recurve to the tips.
The reason I ask about splitting the stave is I would hate to waste the extra wood and would love two bows for the price of one stave.
The pictures are from the original posting on EBAy I have taken it down about 5 rings to a single growth ring. and there are a few pin knots thoughout the length of the bow but nothing too severe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:20:26 pm by Archeryrocks »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Osage Bow stave Help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:29:54 am »
Please post pics of the stave, end grain and down the length.
59 3/4" is a bit short for your first stave bow. It is doable but you'll have to be at the top of your game. You could build a bendy handle bow, maybe 2 if the stave is appropriate to split.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:36:46 am »
A general rule of thumb for an unbacked selfbow is double your draw and add the length of the non working portion of your limb. If you have a bendy handle bow, you could get 28 in draw out of this stave, but your tiller would have to be very good.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:36:35 am »
I've done other stave bows this is just the first time I'm using osage, yes it is a bit short for what I would typically do. I typically like 62 ntn on my bows. I'll see if I can get some pics of the stave.