Author Topic: BBO deflexed  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Badger

BBO deflexed
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:02:47 pm »
   I thought this was an interesting bow. Lately I have been playing around more with deflexed bows to see how they performed for me. I had always wanted to try a deflexed handle with tips about even with the back and no extra reflex. I tillered it out to 55#@28 prior to shooting in, I have about 1 dozen arrows through it. What I thought was interesting about the bow was that I didn't loose so much as an ounce or draw weight due to compression on the wood. It called for 20 oz and came in at 24 oz which is a little unusual but the side benefit was that the extra wood was not pushed at all and performs beautiful. It also gives me some options, I think this is one of those times I can tiller it out to 29 or 30 and still keep the bow pristine, I seldom run into this.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: BBO deflexed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:30:08 pm »
That's a dandy of a braced profile Steve, not crazy about the handle though but that's just me.  How long as the bow?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:53 pm »
       64" mark, I used a 7/16 belly slat with a short 11" power lam and then built up the handle.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:31 pm »
Looking good !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:04:02 pm »
Pull it Steve!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:09:54 pm »
If I send you my address how long do you think it will take to arrive?  >:D

That thing is awesome!! Let's see the full draw :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:12:10 pm »
  Thanks, waiting for my photographer.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:31:23 pm »
Steve, I'm curious do you thin the osage belly slat in the handle area to create the deflex there. Never attempted a glue up before myself, this is a good looking bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 08:41:08 pm »
Steve, I'm curious do you thin the osage belly slat in the handle area to create the deflex there. Never attempted a glue up before myself, this is a good looking bow.

I just starting doing these deflex bows the last couple of months, I think I have made about 6 now. I do it 3 ways. The first way is to leave the handle 3/4 thick, steam and bend, the second way is to make a tri lam with the center of the pices the thickest and tapering to the tips and my favorite way that I am doing now is to cut the belly slat at about 7/16 thick heat and bend around a form, I use the same form to laminate up a power lam anywhere from 11" to about 16" long. I then glue the power lam to the belly lam in one process getting  my deflex and then do the remaining glue up with the back and the handle, this time I did the handle and power lam at the same time and the back last, pushing it into  reflex.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:20:16 pm »
I draw 29".

Just saying.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 05:57:06 am »
Nice one, very good job,bet it's a sweet shooter also. I have only done 2 in that design [selfbows] and they are about as smooth as it get when it come to drawing,
early string weight and pretty fast to boot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 06:02:51 am »
Cool bow (yeah that handle stinks >:D  ;) ) Well, let me see...
I have some boo...
I have some Osage  ;D
Got a couple ofdeflexed bows sort of in the pipeline, it will be interesting  weird to go for that sort of braced shape... I might just get lost without the comfort of an arc of a circle  :'(
So many bows, so little time... better stop typing and get back to the garage ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »
It's all about tradeoffs. I've found such profiles, and even more deflex than that, result in very stable and forgiving bows, which carries weight for me. I've gone both directions... pushing the reflex/recurve envelope,  and then turned around and put bunches of deflex in them. When I did, I instantly fell in love with how the deflexed bows handled. I still like to mix it up. The tri-lam I'm making now has both substantial deflex and reflex. Anxious to get it done and shoot it.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:06 pm »
  I tested it out today, loved the way it shot. Not real impressed with the speed but I might make it my go to bow, behaves very well.