Author Topic: china's oldest lacquer bow  (Read 3806 times)

Offline leehongyi

china's oldest lacquer bow
« on: June 10, 2014, 02:42:41 am »
Kuahuqiao Museum is a Kuahuqiao culture-themed museum which comprehensively displays the archeological findings in Kuahuqiao Historical Site and research achievements. The museum mainly consists of Exhibition Hall and Historical Relics Hall. Modern displaying methods and high-end displaying equipment are applied to present the 8000-year-old Kuahuqiao Culture.
I noticed that there is a lacquer bow in the equipments shown as below, as old as Holmegaard. is 8000 years the earliest existing bow in the world?

Offline Joec123able

Re: china's oldest lacquer bow
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 04:04:53 am »
If you're asking if an 8000 year old bow is the oldest found bow then the answer is no ! Just do some research
I like osage

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 05:39:13 am »
tell me more pls. The google is dead here this days.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
Actually the oldest bow I found online was a yew bow between5200-5400 bce, so that's about 7414
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:53:53 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »
Most places I looked claim 9000 years+ for Holmegaard, but not sure on the "official" age. There have been arrowheads found that are 60,000 years old though, so who knows how long bows have been in use. Probably much much longer than that. You don't go from nothing straight to holmegaard overnight :P

Offline randman

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:54 pm »
Amazing color on that. Very Impressive that colored lacquer preserves so well. One thing I do know is the Holmegaard artifact has no finish or color or anything from that era on it......Cool enough finish to reproduce as a great "camo" effect....
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:27 pm »
Old or not, that is a gorgeous work of art.  That would be a stellar item to recreate! 

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 10:44:40 pm »
I didn't think lacquer would be flexible enough for a bow. Or is this put on a little thinner than ornamental boxes? Beautiful thing. Great fall camo. You could lose that so easy in a pile of leaves.

Offline zenart

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 11:20:01 pm »
Beautiful! Wish you had close-ups. Do you have stats, length etc.?
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 01:20:49 am »
Such enduring color after 8000 years is really amazing. Not the oldest bow in the world but its up there among the oldest known bows. It looks like it had side nocks. I would love to see some high definition photos of it where I could see more detail.

Would be interesting if you could contact the museum staff and get some detailed measurements and high quality photos and attempt to replicate it.

Any idea what species of wood its made from?

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 01:58:30 am »

Not yet. the researchers always publish their datas on some databases that we cannot access.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:44 am »
Such enduring color after 8000 years is really amazing. Not the oldest bow in the world but its up there among the oldest known bows. It looks like it had side nocks. I would love to see some high definition photos of it where I could see more detail.

Would be interesting if you could contact the museum staff and get some detailed measurements and high quality photos and attempt to replicate it.

thank you for your advice. i will try later.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 02:05:33 am »

Not yet. the researchers always publish their datas on some databases that we cannot access.

the remaining length is 121cm, the widest part 3.3cm and thickest 2.2. the material is mulberry heartwood.

Offline leehongyi

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 02:09:29 am »

i am afraid that's a stub-end rather than a nock.