Author Topic: Hackberry cambium layer ID  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Hackberry cambium layer ID
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 12:54:46 pm »
BTW-before anyone points out that the endgrain pic is coffetree and not hackberry, I'm well aware of it.  It is the first ringporous pic I found that illustrates the difference in structure between the early wood and late wood.  Also this opinion on the earlywood being fluffed up junk is not based on Google academics or just some repeated dogma.  I came to this opinion the old fashioned way, by breaking bows.  Josh

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »
I wondered about the timing of harvest on white wood.  I just hadn't confirmed it with anyone but seemed to make sense to me that would be the case.    Chasing the ring on this stuff may be real fun!!?!?   

Now it sounds like the next thing to figure out is the tempering procedure I will need to use on this wood.   Any pointers to a good source of info, perhaps a video on the subject? 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 12:54:09 am »
It sounded as though you had figured out the timing bit already.  I was just confirming the notion.  Chasing a ring on that will be pretty easy if you have a draw knife and maybe a scraper.  You won't have to remove much material to get last years ring.  Generally speaking, whitewoods are slightly more difficult to chase a ring on due to the hard to see rings.  The best way to alleviate that problem is to work in natural sunlight instead of inside.  Another little trick is to have a wet rag handy.  When you can't see the rings just give it a swipe with the rag.  The early wood fibers will fluff right up.  Heat tempering the belly of hackberry is good practice.  When you get it to floor tiller, then you can worry about heat tempering.  There are several threads covering the process in good detail, but I can't think of which ones to direct you to.  Josh