Author Topic: From the Gratz pit 5/31  (Read 2890 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
From the Gratz pit 5/31
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:46:01 pm »
Got a chance to break some rock today. Started out snappin pieces in half then I got these outta the bigger salvaged pieces. My first attampt at a pine tree/agee. The horn stone is really nice, thin and sharp 78g. I just found out my nieghbor is hosting a bachelor party of 20somethings tonight and the wife and I got an invite. They were shooting bows and roasting a hog earlier today, wish I woulda known, but the triangle tx point may be going to the groom. Depends on how they act this eve.  ;) Thanks for lookin, dpg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:50:14 pm by bowtarist »
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: From the Gratz pit 5/31
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:40 pm »
Derrick, nice set of points, can't decide if I like the Burlington or the Horn stone the best, awwwwwwwwww it's the hornstone, looks nice and thin. Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:19:09 pm »
Funny how it gets you sometimes...nice work on those pieces. Enjoy the party, sounds like some good eating tonight.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:17:35 pm »
Nice looking points Derik.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:42 am »
That is a nice collection. Hope your head isn't hurting too much this morning ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:05:04 pm »
Thanks guys! Had a ball at the bachelor party. The oldest kid there was 24.  ;D The wife and I showed up and mentored those boys in all types of stuff. They had thrown a half hog on the coals about 11am. It looked pretty poor when we got there all black and chared. I helped them get it off the fire and onto a table then pulled out my dagger and cut the whole back strap off with two cuts and layed it on the ribs and sliced into thin medalions. Those guys had been drinking all day and went ape $#!# crazy over the pork loin. I ate my share then stood back w/ an ice cold 16oz pbr and watched them hack at the rest of it. I did end up giving the groom the point at the very end. Nice kid, is training to be a zoo vet. Had lots of good zoo stories.  My wife started talking to this guy who seemed kinda down and in about three sentences he was in tears spilling his young guts to her. He walked us to the road and was very thankful to have been able to vent.  :o I feel like a champ today, wife is still in bed.  ;) Had a gooder, dp

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
Those look good, D!  Interesting story...
1’—>1’

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:27:00 am »
Thanks Steve. I've given the triangle and the hornstone point away now. One to the groom and one to a teacher I've hung out w/ at work the past two years who just got RIFFed. Today is the first day of summer break, got a go mow now. :) dp

Offline OneOneNiner

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 11:07:18 am »
Good lookin points brother! Keep up the hood work.
I'd rather be an optimist and proven a fool than a pessimist and proven right.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »
What, no pics from the bachelor party >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline flungonin

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 10:19:17 pm »
Those look really nice . The darker one (horn stone)! is really sharp in more ways than one. How do you get them so thin? I know practice, but it hasn't happen with my piddly pileage pile. Anyway love looking at your work.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:27 am »
Thanks 9er!

No part pics Tracy.  ;)

Flungonin, Thanks for the kind words. Most of my hornston points all come from the same big chunk of rock I found a couple years ago. I spall off a piece and go to town on it. Most start fairly thin. I take the inside radius off the ends and wha-la, a thin flat flake to shape and sharpen.

Thanks again for comments, dp