Author Topic: Help Old bow finds  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Stick Man

Help Old bow finds
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
Was trying to get some information on two bows.  My neighbor runs an antique shop and came across these two bows.  The first is 68 inches long tip to tip.  It has a sticker on the upper limb "belly" that says York (for York archery). It has a sticker on the lower limb back for wood crafted equipment CO.  Independence MO.  Was real interested in information on York archery, wood type of the bow etc...  The bow has imprinted marlins that read FB 56 and under it 40.  It also has a very thin backing that I'm not sure of the material.  The second bow has no identifying markings except for. 55 written on the handle where the grip used to be.  It is 66" tip to tip.  Any information on these bows would be greatly appreciated.  The pictures are not that great,  will post better ones soon.

Offline Stick Man

Re: Help Old bow finds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 05:04:35 pm »
Having trouble sending pics from phone.  Will upload and send from computer when I get home

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:36:57 pm »
Quite a few of those turn up and I think a number of guys on here have mentioned having a York bow. Usually lemonwood with a "fiber" or similar backing.
 Here's a thread from another site discussing these bows. http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5537
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:40:44 pm by PatM »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:44:51 pm »
Pat is right, pretty common. I have a few and the York's were usually Lemon wood or hickory. The Lemon wood bows will be very dark. The backing is cellulose , the 40 is the weight and the 55 on the other is also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:37:09 am »
I have an old York, lemonwood ELB style with aluminum "horn" nocks; circa 1940s. I contacted Woodcrafters and they sent me a copy of a 1940's catalog. The FB is for fiber backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Man

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 04:24:14 pm »
Sorry it took so long to post pictures.  actually was blessed with the birth of my daughter recently so been a little tied up.  Pat and mullet, thank you for the great information.