Author Topic: Remembering...  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Remembering...
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:59:03 am »
Those men and women who signed a blank check to their country, which was cashed with "everything written in.

I will remember the blood price paid for me, my children, and my children's children.

So party hard, grill some food and make the most of your precious gift.  Raise a glass to the guardians who have taken their final watch.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Remembering...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:36 am »
Amen
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:05 am »
Remembering those that sacrificed it all.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:52:46 am »
Those men and women who signed a blank check to their country, which was cashed with "everything written in.

I will remember the blood price paid for me, my children, and my children's children.

So party hard, grill some food and make the most of your precious gift.  Raise a glass to the guardians who have taken their final watch.
We have them and probably dont deserve them, consider my glass raised....real high
rich

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:15:37 am »
Salute!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
Yes indeed. True heroes.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:45 am »
To both past and present and the future to come. I salute all who serve from the lowest private to the highest general. God guide them all
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:39:34 pm »
" Hip, Hip Hooray!"
Get the Vet's the help they need and DESERVE as well.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 02:21:20 pm »
I cannot express the gratitude that I feel to those who have served and sacrificed everything they had for me and mine. Without brave men and women who step up like that, the world would be a much different place than it is today. It is my sincerest hope that in the years to come, we do not add to the list of those we remember today.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:45:13 pm »
I think about the very first ones to step up to that wall.  Literally, they stepped up to a dry fit stone wall along a road.  They hands sweating, guts knotted tight, listening to the sound of the redcoats' drums.  They knew it was treason. They knew those professional soldiers were the best armed, the best trained, and the best supported troops in Europe.  These men, and boys too, knew they had only limited powder and ball against a military industrial complex that staggered the imagination. 

And yet there they stood, shoulder to shoulder.  Facing .75 caliber roundballs that weighted 1.6 oz each, often laid in the barrel with 6 large buckshot riding on top....the "buck and ball" load.  Some slipped away, some lost their nerve, some wept and yet stood their ground. The British officer stepped out and demanded they lay down their arms in the name of the King.  A king that felt it was beneath him to even learn English, his nation's own native tongue, a king that ruled capriciously thru corrupt ministers. 

A shot rang out, and to this day it is unknown which side it came from. Many more shots followed. And a grand experiment in self governance was launched.

Memorial Day began when a group of freed slaves gathered to celebrate the Union soldiers in a mass grave.  They gathered to honor those that signed that blank check knowing it might get cashed.  And it did. We do honor to those that served the greater good when we remember them on this Memorial Day. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:17:55 am »
Well said, JW. I spent most of the day watching old movies and documentaries on various wars. A lot of green kids lost their lives protecting the freedom we hold so dear. I stand in awe of their sacrifice. For those who make it home broken and battered we owe better care than they seem to be getting these days.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:38 am »
Just seen this, but I did remember and try to remember and thank them every day. ;) :) we in the USA have a very blessed country,do we have some problems,sure we do but still very blessed. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 09:26:56 am »
A footnote on the first memorial day;

The union graves the freed slaves were honoring was created by the same black people who took it upon themselves to bury the fallen union troops who had been left on the battle field to rot by the union army. The felt the dead deserved better and took action entirely on their own to create a cemetery for them.

If you can catch the PBS special dealing with the topic of the Civil War dead it is well worth your time.

Offline longbow man

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:16 pm »
   Almost didn't say anything but I served as a usaf survival instructor in the early 70s. Reunion coming up soon for instructors and I hope to attend. Got my drivers license renewed today and the lady asked if I was a veteran. Why I wondered. She said that if I was then my license would be tagged as such. I could get discounts on things I buy at various stores. That really felt strange because Vietnam was not a popular war and recognition for serving then was probably akin to serving in the Spanish American war. Not Much. However 42 years later I read things like articles from this post and I realize not everybody is as indifferent. At least I was never insulted to my face. THANKS GUYS. It's really nice to hear some of this respect. I do hope I am not out of line in the standards of this post.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 08:11:41 pm »
   Almost didn't say anything but I served as a usaf survival instructor in the early 70s. Reunion coming up soon for instructors and I hope to attend. Got my drivers license renewed today and the lady asked if I was a veteran. Why I wondered. She said that if I was then my license would be tagged as such. I could get discounts on things I buy at various stores. That really felt strange because Vietnam was not a popular war and recognition for serving then was probably akin to serving in the Spanish American war. Not Much. However 42 years later I read things like articles from this post and I realize not everybody is as indifferent. At least I was never insulted to my face. THANKS GUYS. It's really nice to hear some of this respect. I do hope I am not out of line in the standards of this post.

Not by any means my friend, all true Americans thank you and all who have, are and will serve our country, the greatest country to ever exist, May we always remember those who made it possible and most of all remember what this country was built upon, in God we trust, GODBLESSAMERICA
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"