Author Topic: Decrowned hazel bow  (Read 7243 times)

Offline dbb

Re: Decrowned hazel bow
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »
Very nice!
Love the tips and the overall profile.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline ajooter

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 11:58:52 pm »
When you decrown a stave do you chase a ring on the back of the bow?  I REALLY like this bow btw.  I've seen some nice bows made from hazel on here.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 01:55:06 am »
Thank you everyone, I did not expect that much feedback on this bow.

ajooter: No, don't chase a ring. You instead cut through the rings, but parallel to the fibers. That's the point. Ideally, you'll see nicely straight, parallel grain on the back. Look at the pic "beads", there you can see the cut-through ring on the back. You actually make a board bow from a stave.

I attached you a pic how the limb was cut from the log, hope it makes sense.

And yes, hazel is cool bow wood.  :-*
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:59:48 am by Jodocus »
Don't shoot!

Offline ajooter

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 11:39:30 am »
Thank you for the explanation sir!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »
very nice bow. love hazelnut
wouldnt be safer to add a backing of some sort?

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 03:29:55 am »
very nice bow. love hazelnut
wouldnt be safer to add a backing of some sort?

Why does it need a backing? It is already 'backed' with unbroken fibers from tip to tip. Imagine that roll of uncooked pasta.... ;D

I've made quite a few bow from hazel....you really should try heat treating it.  ;) It holds lots of reflex  :)

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56:11 am »
GlisGlis, yes I trust that back. there is one spot that got a tiny rawhide patch because of two adjacent pin knots (lengthwise, evil  >:(), but the patch is less than 1/4" and hardly visible. I also gave it some good security reserves in terms of extra bow lenght.

Mike, I have not heat treatet a single bow yet, but I'm still determined to try. On this one, the trapped design and decrowned back are in a good equilibrium, I guess.
Don't shoot!

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 04:14:03 am »
GlisGlis, yes I trust that back. there is one spot that got a tiny rawhide patch because of two adjacent pin knots (lengthwise, evil  >:(), but the patch is less than 1/4" and hardly visible. I also gave it some good security reserves in terms of extra bow lenght.

Mike, I have not heat treatet a single bow yet, but I'm still determined to try. On this one, the trapped design and decrowned back are in a good equilibrium, I guess.

Yes but having that flat section on the back isn't making it work as hard as if you'd left the crown intact. The elder bows i've made have all been from very narrow branches (1 1/2 inch wide), I left the backs intact with high crown and then heat treated. I've tested quite a bit of elder and can confirm it's another very strong in tension wood.  :)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 11:03:19 pm »
Nice looking bow. Thanks for sharing.  Very well done.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »
Nice classy looking bow and nice photographs as well!