Author Topic: Ideas or help appreciated for students.  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Parnell

Ideas or help appreciated for students.
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:08 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to start an archery club next year for the high school students where I teach.  I've been looking at starting up with some basic gear that I may purchase through the National Archery in Schools program, which actually started as a Kentucky state initiative.  The basic gear isn't cheap and we'd have to start small, for what I anticipate as being a high level of interest.  I'll be able to allow students to bring their personal gear in, as another high school in our county is currently doing that, but I'm sure the majority of students don't have any gear.  I don't think having them make their own bows here at school is going to fly very far...unfortunately ::).

Anyhow, if any of you all have bright ideas or if you have perhaps some old beginner's target bow sitting around that you could part with, etc.,  let me know!!!  It'll be for a good cause!  I'm looking at inexpensive aluminum arrows and simple 20# wheelie bows to start them with.  I may have some wiggle room in the PE budget for some of this, according to our principal.

Thanks,

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Ideas or help appreciated for students.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30:05 am »
Probly get ya a grant Parnell.

I'm doing something similar at my school, The Manual Primitives!! We have our first meeting this Thursday. Not totally archery, and I'm starting with the atlatl.  I'm planning on making PVC bows with the students.  They are also going to have to do "reports" on articles I'm going to have them read just to be in the program. Full punctuation and grammar with capitals and all. I'm telling them that if they can't do that then they can't handle the responsibility of learning what is being taught it this after school program.

We should talk on this more. Looks like we are in the same boat here.

Cheers, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:39:55 am »
Hi guys, I'm not much help from this side of the pond, but I just wanted to add my moral support.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:29:02 pm »
Hmmm, PVC bows, good thinking D.  That may be something that can really help get this off the ground.  I haven't made one yet, I should probably mess around with that.

Are you applying for a grant through the NASP?  I should be putting that together...

Yeah, let's keep the conversation going.  I've had similar thoughts in rolling in academics and a bit of fitness.  Won't hurt the kids to have to run a little before practice! 

Thanks for the support Del!  Always appreciated, my friend! :)
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:53 pm »
The NASP sponsored national tournament is specific to only using their equipment, D.  Only 20# bows.
Teachers have to go through an 8 hour training class to be sponsored.
1’—>1’

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »
I plan to get something started here also and The stuff NASP uses is not cheap
Would love to here more ideas too , I have never done a PVC Bow but now who knows
Do they hold up good enough for the kids ?
Were can we get the Rattan like they used to do at Cloverdale that is more along my line
This will not be a NASP program but will be in conjunction with the youth center we are getting ready to build! So I am keeping an eye on this thread myself!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:53:26 pm »
The NASP sponsored national tournament is specific to only using their equipment, D.  Only 20# bows.
Teachers have to go through an 8 hour training class to be sponsored.

Yea, I've looked into it. I'd take the class, I just don't want to use their kind of bows.  ;) I'm not starting an archery only club, but a primitives club where we do more than just shoot bows. It may morph into an archery club, but will not start that way.  I'm interested in showing them lots of stuff other than archery. The PVC bows would be cheap and easy to come by the materials. They would make their own strings probably w/ B50 or art sinew.  Gotta go...got a class getting ready to start... ;D ;D dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 04:11:14 pm »
That's a great idea Steve.  I agree on the PVC bows.  You could probably get a local hardware store to donate the PVC.  You can make all types of styles fairly easily and they are very functional and durable.  I have never made one, but I have one I bought.  I can send you pics of.  Lots of how to videos on youTube and they just use old twine for a string. 

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »
If you want to get your NASP program started the first place to start is with your State Game and Fish Commission.  More than likely they will pay for the equipment to get the program started, I know the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission will pay for it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »
Good deal Parnell! Where I teach we have the NASP at every building in the school district. Most of our equipment has been purchased through grant monies through local businesses and school enrichment grants. I got certified as an instructor through the local conservation officer. The kids that get hooked eventually buy their own gear. The whole  community is involved. Pm if you need more info and I'll get it for you.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 07:00:46 pm »
Parnell we have a air gun shooting team and an archery in different schools, both hit up shooting clubs to outfit them and got quite a bit of stuff and also get new stuff yearly , maybe hit up the archery range for donations of gear or maybe put on a tourney to benefit the club
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »
I did get the contact for the FL state rep through the Fish and Wildlife Dpt.  He was out today, but the office forward me a bunch to read.  Maybe we can find some grant $.  If the kids want to compete with the NASP we'll have to figure some bows but PVC may be a good place to start.
1’—>1’

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 10:41:44 pm »
Or maybe an assortment of raffles if things that PA folks would donate? I would be happy to donate something to raffle.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:09:30 pm »
I would be wary of the liability aspect. Not to put you off.
Have you checked all the rules and regs. I have self bows
that friends have given me and I am a little aprehensive to
shoot them. Can you get disclaimers from the students?
If and when you get it together I got some $ (help) for ya.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:26 am »
Cipriano, thanks, I'll keep it in mind as this unfolds.

Zuma, absolutely good thought.  I was thinking of the issue myself and it's why I'm not going to press for these kids to make self bows, etc.  I'm not interested in putting my butt on the line for this environment.  PVC has to be pretty much bomb proof but I've got a feeling that once I start to look into this there will be money available for getting this running from both the state and school.
1’—>1’