Author Topic: Maple Bow For Eagle Scout  (Read 11103 times)

Offline arachnid

Re: Maple Bow For Eagle Scout
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:39 am »

honestly I would not suggest it if you haven't made a few bows.  it's one more thing to have to get right.  not saying you can't do it but I am saying that you don't HAVE to do it to get a decent shooter.  It's another variable you have to contend with.  just round the edges of the back a little so they are not really sharp angles.  That will also help in not lifting splinters. 

Thanks a lot Arrowind.
I have made bows before, I just never worked with maple (its hard maple) and thought it`ll be a good chance to
make an unbacked bow (I usually backmy bows with paper) and to try traping the back.
Your info really helped me.

BTW, I really like the nocks on that bow and want to try it myself.
I`ll try to mimic it through the pictures but are there any tips you can give me on
how to make it?

Dor

Offline diliviu

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:42 pm »
Beautifully shaped, perfect tiller! Dream bow.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »
Very classy!  A worthy bow to be  awarded for such high achievement!  Josh

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:19 pm »
paoliguy, diliviu, Gun Doc,  Thanks!

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2014, 11:19:59 pm »

honestly I would not suggest it if you haven't made a few bows.  it's one more thing to have to get right.  not saying you can't do it but I am saying that you don't HAVE to do it to get a decent shooter.  It's another variable you have to contend with.  just round the edges of the back a little so they are not really sharp angles.  That will also help in not lifting splinters. 

Thanks a lot Arrowind.
I have made bows before, I just never worked with maple (its hard maple) and thought it`ll be a good chance to
make an unbacked bow (I usually backmy bows with paper) and to try traping the back.
Your info really helped me.

BTW, I really like the nocks on that bow and want to try it myself.
I`ll try to mimic it through the pictures but are there any tips you can give me on
how to make it?

Dor

Cool!  Trap away dude.  You don't need permission that's for sure.  Just be sure to make it even on both sides and make sure the back is super smooth before you start tillering.  If the grain is straight and the limbs wide enough and long enough you should be able to make it unbacked. 

As for the tips.  I started wide got them down to just over half an inch - tillered to low brace to check string alignment.  Once I got the string centered I continued tillering.  for shaping the tips I just got a rectangular shaped piece of black walnut cut it across diagonally to make two identical wedge shaped pieces.  I glued them on - then drew the shape I wanted with a pencil and cut them out. I  then used my rat tail file to re-cut the knocks and my sander to shape further.   Once I had that done I narrowed the tips just above were the string sets to end up with more of a pin knock.    ???  Not sure if that makes any sense or answers your questions but that's about how I did it.  Once I did all that I narrowed the tips down to right around 3/8" or just a little over.  sand until smooth.  :D   

I hope that helps.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2014, 08:17:55 am »
Been,out and just seen this one,sweet,that is beautiful and I am sure he loved it.Congrats to him and also you for a fine bow. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:44 pm »
Hey Pappy,  Thanks!

Offline Zayn_JK

• Zayn Khan
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2014, 11:11:54 pm »
Very good. The Eagle scout will love it.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:23 am »
Thanks Zorrun!