Author Topic: Preserving dyes  (Read 2630 times)

Don Case

Preserving dyes
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »
I want to make some vegetable/fruit dyes. I will only be using them a bit at a time for dying arrows and such. How can I keep the left over dye from spoiling? I would rather keep it in jars in the shop than in the fridge or freezer. I thought maybe adding vinegar or vodka might work. Any ideas?
Thanks
Don

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Preserving dyes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:28:30 pm »
Adding alcohol should help preserve the dye but save the vodka for something more important...like a Bloody Mary or vodka martini.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »
Agreed Pat... Pure alcohol for a preserve... vineager will have to be refridgerated.... Red dye use pickled beets.. Pick the beets out with the arrow shaft... Get a snack while working >:D >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:57:02 pm »
We had beets for Easter so I saved the cooking water. I dipped a piece of OS into it and it dried bright pink.  :o :o  I may look for something different. :-\

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:07 pm »
Plastic pop bottles, sling 'em in the freezer!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »
Don, thanks for the idea! My little girl wants a pink bow. I tried Rit Dye and it didn't come out the way I hoped, maybe beet jiuce is the answer. Guess we'll have to have beets for supper one night between now and the weekend.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
I don't think it will be very colorfast. It will probably fade in the sun. I read on another site where a guy suggested applying an SPF40 sunblock after staining(to the bow ;)). That might be worth a try. If you get a greasy one it may help water resistance too.

PS I've never tried any of this so buyer beware.

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:14 pm »

Also Don not sure if your aware but there are a few plants whose dye properties stay even if the plant is dried, Not many though. Some of em for certain dye colors you even want to dry em first.

Other than that I agreed with the others - add in alcohol, or toss them in the freezer.

A vacuum sealer also works from time to time, but isn't your best bet. I've had numerous berry dyes grow mold even after vacuum sealing when I was younger.

Adding alcohol, be careful though - too much could damage whatever your dying, and any amount is going to dilute your color so some degree. Most plant dyes have subdued colors anyway, so not a raw deal, but sometimes a deciding factor on dyes that already very light, as adding in enough to preserve it could make it too light for what your trying to achieve.

There many many books on the subject, and if you can't find what your looking for from the good folks here or on the net, I suggest your local library, ours had heaps of em on it.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."