Author Topic: Look what you made me do!  (Read 964 times)

Offline Loope

Look what you made me do!
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:26:53 pm »
Some helpful guys here on the forum helped me identify a tree as white oak, most likely chinquapin.  So after finding that out, of course I had to but some logs for staves, 3 logs to be exact.  Then, I had to cut another tree to finish clearing the area for my shed and now knowing that it was also white oak... well you can guess... I cut a log from it.  This one was big enough that I should be able to get some good belly splits for an all-heartwood stave.

Now I have a pile of staves, more than I will need, but I am still eyeing some more trees that somehow must need to be cut for some reason.  How can I have a pile of staves and still think "that tree would make a bow"?  Anyway, somehow I have to blame you guys for being so helpful in tree id... it is all your fault!  Just kidding, I really do appreciate the info... my wife may feel otherwise though;)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Look what you made me do!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »
The bark should peel right off now...Get them sealed up and watch the bugs, go ahead and reduce one so it will dry quicker...
                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Loope

Re: Look what you made me do!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:42:21 pm »
I sealed the ends with several coats of shellac as soon as they were cut.  Then came the splitting.  As you can see, some still need to be split more, but I was worn out.  The bark is starting to loosen, so I plan to start de-barking and shellac the backs, get some belly splits from the larger ones, and then maybe cut a couple of them to near-final dimensions to season out quickly.  I put them under cover to get them in the dry quickly, but they are going into the garage in the next few days to keep the bugs out.