Author Topic: old ALB repair project  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Josh B

old ALB repair project
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:51:44 pm »
A parent of one of my 4H kids brought this to me to fix.  It's a lemonwood ALB made by Ben Pearson under the "Locksley" brand name.  It's 69" ntn and I'm guessing about 20# @ 26" judging by floor tiller.  As you can see, the riser popped off and the leather handle wrap is quite rotten.   The guy just wants it shooting and doesn't want it refinished.  So I'm to refit the riser and make a new wrap and built up shelf.   Given the condition and patina of the original finish, that's gonna be a bit difficult to make look good.  I'm considering making a replica of this bow out of maple so I took some measurements and pics.  I've always been a fan of those long graceful fades that were so common back in the day.  Here are a few of the pics of the bow.   Thanks for looking!   Josh

Offline Josh B

Re: old ALB repair project
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:53:32 pm »
A few more

Offline VicNova

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »
Looks like a fun project. Yes I always liked those long graceful fades as well.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:06:56 pm »
cut it in half and make a takedown out of it >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:59:45 pm »
Similar to the lemonwood flatty I got.
Make her pretty again!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 12:28:23 am »
Loosing handles on the old bows is pretty common and glue failure in most cases. It seems the glue used dries out over the years and degrades. This can be a fun project, Josh. I know you can bring her back to life.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:00 am »
That should be fairly straight-forward for a guy with your talents, sir. Can't wait to see her "back again".
rich

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:05:01 am »
I just did a restore project of the same bow. I just have to put a finish on it. I put some heat to the one I did and took the string follow out and recurved it a little.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:34:09 am »
It would be pretty easy if he would let me refinish it, but he said he likes the old look.  The riser is curled up where it feathers out in the fades to add a little more difficulty to the project.  I'll give it my best effort and see what happens.   Thanks for the comments.   Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:21 am »
Josh, use rubber bands to hold down the feathered edges when you glue and clamp the riser back on. The rubber bands give good, even pressure and works well when I'm adding tip overlays to hold those feathered edges down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 10:05:42 am »
Thanks Pat!  We'll give it a try.  Josh

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:08:26 am »
I got one pretty similar that I am just waiting til I have the skills to do her justice. Lookin forward to seeing this one you're working on back to life.