Author Topic: Fallow Deer antlers  (Read 1549 times)

Don Case

Fallow Deer antlers
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:17:11 pm »
There is a game farm near here that raises Fallow Deer. The antlers are kind of paddle like with short tines. They are quite spongy in the center. I'm wondering if I can use the end of the tines for tips like ELB's? I'm concerned that there won't be enough wall thickness. Has anyone used Fallow Deer antler for tips?
Thanks
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Fallow Deer antlers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »
Don, I don't have first hand knowledge about fallow deer antlers but I'd imagine they would be pretty strong just like other antlers. If they are pithy inside, pre-soak the pith with super glue, flatten the glue surface back out and glue them down. The tips are probably the strongest, densest part so they should work for horn nocks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »
I dont know about the tips but made a bow from a set of them once, did it like an elk antler bow and cleaned out the pith and filled it with layers of sinew. Lil bow turned out nice.

E

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:32:12 pm »
 If you removed the pith from the flat section of the antler what's left would be about 1/8" thick. I was idly wondering if you could use it as the belly of a composite in lieu of horn.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »
Last time I saw fallow deer, was in the LBL back in the 70's.  Their antlers were very nice.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking