Author Topic: Mick Dodge  (Read 4307 times)

Offline bow101

Mick Dodge
« on: April 04, 2014, 04:34:08 pm »
........the past several decades, Mick has wandered the coast of the Pacific as a barefoot nomad, following the tradition of the four generations.
Reality TV has gone to far when they show a starving bush man eating dried Elk Poop filled with his favorite filling.  You guessed it Maggots.   There is other stuff to eat,  and later on he hit the beach and caught 40 crab.  Were the Maggots necessary...?  Reality TV has gone to far, sometimes I watch it for the shock factor.

Oh I know most of this stuff is scripted.  The only part I liked was when they built a self-bow from maple,  the sapling looked totally green, and the tiller job was horendous, it was only bending in the outer third and tips.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:49:28 pm by bow101 »
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

Re: Mick Dodge
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
You weren't watching close enough. The maggots were from a beaver carcass. I kinda doubted the crab catching technique. I don't think he stood there and waited. Throw the line in and go sit on the beach for a while maybe. I think you have to take the show with a great deal of salt. Some of the "backwoods game trails" look very well travelled. A lot of them have two parallel paths sort of like the elusive B.F. Goodrich track.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:20:46 pm »
LOL....If there is a camera present, It is not reality....It Is Hollyweird...Just saying
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:29 pm »
Hope he wonders onto the Quinault indian reservation.....bear season opens soon  :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »
LOL....If there is a camera present, It is not reality....It Is Hollyweird...Just saying

True enough but images and filming can have a profound effect, if its real or somewhat fixed.  Just like acting Belushi was off the wall in films, and in real life he was off the wall partying doing coke and herion. Nothing is cut and dry..wheather its Hollyweird or just some silly script made up in a bathroom.
One never knows........ ;D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:36:23 pm »
If I had to eat beaver meat I would sprinkle a lot of maggots on it.
They are great for tenderizing and add an unusual flavor.
just rinse off the maggot poop.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:30:24 pm »
i bet Zuma....unusual flavor of .....FLY MAGGOTS!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:59:22 pm »
So this sparked my interest and I watched the episodes on YouTube. First off some parts were fun and entertaining but it's more scripted crap. The part where he are the maggot out of the elk turd, yeah that was a real maggot but the beaver carcass...nope those were meal worms! As far as catching the crabs come on no way ! Dungeness crabs are caught in deeper areas up to 300ft. Those crabs were dead! I never claimed to be much of a bow maker but that was rediculous. First they started with a green piece and carved an atrocious squared out thingy. It shows them varnishing it with draw knife gouges in it. Next frame a perfect finished bow that looked nothing like the thing they made. All these little things combined made me discredit the whole show and kinda made it into a joke.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:10:17 pm »
I have never heard of this man or the show and went and watched the episode and a few others  on you tube. I have to agree with  Elijah. It is set up so poorly  it discredits those who do it for real.  As he said the maggots were meal worms and the crab catching was hilarious.  Now they can be caught by rope in shallower water but I  don't think you have to drag the rope like that to get them to bite. ?The whole thing stank of a set up show  much like Duck Dynasty.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:01 pm »
Watching that crap is like sippin a glass of wine and watching the Kardashians. When the wine is gone you have to ask yourself, "what the hell was I thinking". ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 01:33:37 am »
As Mullet said when I watch T.V. I usually ask myself the same thing regardless of what I watch. What was I thinking? :o
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:44 pm »
You can always count on public television to provide good TV. I know I lean on it for visual entertainment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.