Author Topic: Rattan Backed RO Pyramid  (Read 1187 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Rattan Backed RO Pyramid
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »
Here's a bow I just finished up for my Buddy - 40#@28" 66"ntn.   He was looking for something fun in the backyard, so I was shooting for something around 35# at his draw (25") but could possibly be pulled by someone else with a longer draw.   First time I've tried heat treating red oak and it made a big difference.   I tried to do the leather handle and get the "folded edge" look that I see on a lot of bows here and I really like it.  Tip overlays are cherry, which don't provide a great contrast
Thanks for Looking!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Rattan Backed RO Pyramid
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
Sweet.  Tiller looks good.  I do see a trouble spot 6-8 inches in from the tip on the bottom limb, but it may just be a twist in the limb.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 07:46:26 pm »
Any thoughts of lightening the tips a bit? I think they could maybe bend a smidge more, and this would reduce hand shock and increase speed.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:42:59 pm »
I definitely could have lightened the tips a bit more and got a bit more bend in 'em, but I think I just got a little lazy....

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:43:57 pm »
Looks like it is bending very nice.  He should enjoy shooting that one I suspect!  Your wrap turned out nice too.  Good Work.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:10:17 am »
Nice bend on that one. I,d like to see a close up of the Rattan backing, Again good job, Chuck
Armstrong, BC

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:06:30 am »
Congrats on the shooter....I'd also reduce the tips thickness as well seeing how its basically a pyramid design...you can still have the tips stiff after reducing if you so desire.....but if your happy with it then leave as is and disregard my jerk comment  :laugh:

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 11:36:07 am »
There's the rattan backing.  It's parallel 1/8" strips.  I have a lot of rattan from one order I placed, and I realized I would have to do handle wraps on my next 300 bows to use it all up, so I started doing backings with it, and I liked the look of it. 
The tips are 7/16" wide.  I definitely should have reduced them to 3/8 or 5/16, and maybe reduced the outer portions of limb that are unbending to either make them more lever-like or make them bend a little.   This bow didn't much handshock so I got a bit complacent with outer-limb reduction i guess.