Author Topic: HHB Finish  (Read 1066 times)

Offline RyanR

HHB Finish
« on: March 29, 2014, 01:56:30 pm »
I am looking for stain ideas for a HHB bow. I have never worked this wood before. Should I stain it or leave it natural? If I use stain what looks good on this wood? It has a lot of the darker stripes mixed in it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HHB Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »
One of my favorites for whitewoods is finely ground charcoal rubbed into the wood with a little oil, water or alcohol. It is like a wash and mostly coloring the early wood with a little color on the late wood. On hickory and ash it really stands out.
  If you don't want a solid color thin leather dye with alcohol to get a similar effect at the charcoal rub.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:57:23 pm »
I tried a vinegar, steel wool, and tea finish that I liked on hickory recently. Turtle did it and I asked hm about it. Soak the wool and tea in vinegar for several days and then wipe on and let sit for an hour or 2. It gives it a darkened and gray aged look. Will try to get a pic tomorrow.

Offline zenart

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:55:26 am »
Ryan I'd be interested to see a pic of 'er to have a look-see whatcha got goin.. or maybe a before/after thing  .Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.