Author Topic: backing abnormal  (Read 3322 times)

PK

backing abnormal
« on: December 28, 2007, 12:06:39 am »
my hickory bow back has a Abnormal, I was thinking of putting a damp cloth on the spot and Iron up the fibres but was not sure if that was the correct way to fix the issue.
Maybe should I just sand the whole back?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: backing abnormal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 12:37:10 am »
PK. Looks like the grain is torn out. I would sand or scrape it down to the next ring or at least sand it to smooth out that area and back it with raw hide or silk. Is it hickory? That is what it looks like to me.        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PK

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:52:55 am »
PK. Looks like the grain is torn out. I would sand or scrape it down to the next ring or at least sand it to smooth out that area and back it with raw hide or silk. Is it hickory? That is what it looks like to me.        Pat
yep thats the only spot torn out its about 1 " ,yes it is hickory. The next ring would be 3/32" and it is a board. I have some silk left over from the last bow I am going to use, so I guess I can snd that spot and put tb3,silk tb3 then silk,then tb3 once it dries I sand it and then I put shelac or laquer, seems to work on the last bow but I will see in a few years if the finish cracks.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 04:39:57 am by PK »

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:54:34 am »
if its just a backing strip, just lay that part out near the narrow part of the limb or handle where you may be able to cut off the bad spot. or maybe you can "Trap" the limbs after glue up and get rid of the spot.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 11:55:00 am »
Especially with hickory, one layer of silk is adequate. No need to add extra weight(physical).  Shellac or lacquer, Tru-Oil or poly spray will work for the finish. 
  I would make the repair so it spreads out for aways down the limb so you don't have an abrupt dip and cover the whole limb with silk.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Adam Keiper

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 01:32:47 pm »
It looks like there is a knot where the grain tore out as well.  I certainly wouldn't ignore it, nor would I be inclined to "patch" it with anything.  The former will guarantee disaster before the bow leaves the tillering tree.  The latter will have you trembling every time you tug the string forevermore.  The best course of action is to lay it out on your bow so that it will be eliminated.  If that's a typical 2" wide backing strip, you should have plenty of material for a 1.5" wide bow.  It should be even even easier to keep off the limb if the damage is near the end of the strip where the bow limb narrows.  Keep the damaged side up.  Any hint of tearout that might remain on the finished edge of the bow limb can be removed by rounding the back edges.