Author Topic: Red Elm questions  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Red Elm questions
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »
Hi, guys,
I got my hands on a nice Red Elm stave, and I've never worked with this wood before.  It's a bit short (58"), but very straight, clean and plenty wide.  I'm going for a 26" draw selfbow in the low 60#'s.  My questions are:

1) Do I pick a ring, or just use the outside ring like you can with Hickory?

2) Does it bend well with dry heat or steam?

3) Is Red Elm strong enough in tension to confidently make a stiff-handle selfbow (58" long, 60-65# @ 26"), or should I back it with something?

Thanks for any advice!

-Tom

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Red Elm questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »
The back is your back. If it is violated you probably cant chase a ring and will need rawhide. Elm loves to be tempered, it will move easily with steam of dry heat. I wouldn't make a stiff handled bow that short and heavy from elm. Its only 56" after string grooves are cut in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »
I've only made 1 red elm bow. The sapwood seems soft and stringy to me, I chased a heart wood ring.  26" draw is easy, make er bend the whole length though as PD stated.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »
Thanks, guys! 
I guess I'll go with a semi-bendy handle, and use the outer ring for the back.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:38:02 pm »
Red elm ( in my experience ) takes a bunch of set. I have tried 3 or 4 bows of the stuff and have no desire to try it again. Heat temper is a must imo as well as wide. Make it wide as you can.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:56:55 pm »
I'm with sleek I don't like the stuff . I've tried 3 time's with red elm but only got one to finish. I find that it is week. Very easy to work but make it wide (2" at least). I was successful putting a boo baking on but not sure how as I was told they don't work well with each other.
I make mistakes but I learn.