Author Topic: Pink osage  (Read 1559 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Pink osage
« on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:01 pm »
Way back in 2011 when Osage Outlaw was cutting up that fabled Monster Osage, he came across a big ol' white worm with a flattened out head.  I called it a "cobra worm", he laughed and set aside the stave that the worm was busy ruining.  At the Classic last year, Clint gifted me with that stave.

I gotta say, minus the damage from that osage disrespecting  worm, that's one premium stave!  There was only one pin knot in the while thing, found it while chasing out a ring and trying to get below the damage from that bloody cobra worm.  There was also some damage from the smaller diggers, too.

I stopped when I got below the actual damage, but the ring I have exposed has a spot of pink wood where the worm was just above it.  Does anyone have experience with this discolored wood?  Would it prove to be less resistant to tension or more brittle in that area?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Pink osage
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:12 pm »
JW,
OO does have some nice staves and he has really earn is screen name, except he is too generous to be an Outlaw.....  :)

I don't think you will notice any difference, some pictures would help.  Where is it in the bow lay out, and how much discoloration is there?

DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 05:11:01 pm »
No matter how I try to lay it out, it ends up catching the edge of a limb.  I am thinking of taking the center of the stave and that will put the discoloration dead center in the limb, width and length.  The discoloration is about half an inch wide and 2 inches long. 

I've tried uploading the pic to photobucket, but it won't finish for some reason or another.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »
My guess is it's from the worm secreting it's waste. Shouldn't hurt it I would say.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:41 pm »
Try sanding that spot.  You might be able to sand it away and have the normal color.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
Cobra worm poo!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:22:13 pm »