Author Topic: hickory and red oak?  (Read 6047 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
hickory and red oak?
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:34 am »
How well will a hickory backed red oak bow hold up and perform?  And what design best suits these woods?

Offline nlester

Re: hickory and red oak?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »
Not sure what others will say, but from my own experience and what I've read, backing red oak with hickory is not a good combination unless you get the hickory pretty thin.  Hickory is just stronger than red oak and can potentially overpower it.  I think a lot of people back red oak with red oak.  There will be someone on here soon that is much sharper at this than I am.  They'll be able to tell you for sure.  This is JMO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »
I have made three HBRO bows and all three are fine still. Make the back quite thin Chuck. Say 1/16" or so. I would suggest hickory backed hickory though! ;D Im a red oak hater for bow wood to be quite honest with you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:18:21 pm »
Don't be such a hater Pearly !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »
I have made three HBRO bows and all three are fine still. Make the back quite thin Chuck. Say 1/16" or so. I would suggest hickory backed hickory though! ;D Im a red oak hater for bow wood to be quite honest with you.

i have made one and it is ok, but i agree pearl drums on his whole post!

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:09:33 pm »
what about red oak backed hickory?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 03:16:52 pm »
I've had mixed success with hickory backed red oak. One bow is a pyramid style, 63 1/2" t/t, 2 1/2" at the fades with a straight taper to 1/2" tips. 53#@28"  This bow is vertually industructable. I have let anybody and everybody shoot it and it is still going strong after almost 7 years.
  I built another that was 1 3/4" at the fades and half way out the limb before tapering to 3/8" tips. This one was a dog and never shot well plus took plenty of set. I don't even remember what happenedcto it.  ::)
  When I make hickory backing strips I cut them out at 3/16" and after sanding the saw marks out of both sides they usually come out 1/8" or slightly less. I have never had a hickory backing over power any belly wood I have used. Hickory makes an excellent backing. I like it better than boo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:07 am »
I'd listen to these guys more than myself, but I tried it once, about 54" ntn, reflex deflex with severe deflex.  It was a real nice zippy bow, but lifted a splinter on the hickory back!!!  I ended up glassing it and gave it away, don't know if it ever broke but the buddy I gave it to was scared of it and gave it away too!!!  Kinda hurt my feelers, but I still don't know what ever happened to that thing.  It'd fling one though.

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:39 pm »
Slackbunny, I would consider backing a red oak bow with hickory to get a bow that performs better in high humidity.  Hickory is extremely strong in tension, and the cross-linking of the fibers allows it to put up with a level of ring violation not possible with other woods, so it makes really good sawed backing.  However, it loses it's compression strength in high humidity, and can take alot of set if you don't keep it dry.  If you were to back hickory with red oak, you would get a bow that takes alot of set in high humidity, and has very little strength in tension, so is likely to fail on the back.  It would capitalize on the weaknesses rather than the strengths of the woods.  I would like to try hickory backed cherry some time.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit