Author Topic: Dogwood staves  (Read 2020 times)

Offline popaoandrei

Dogwood staves
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:39:51 pm »
Hey guys.Just cut 4 cornus sanguinea (common dogwood ) staves that are 2 inch thick and about 75 inches long.I know they are not the best i could find but someone ordered them cut from his domain.All have some natural reflex in them.Thinking of making some ELB'S and or pyramids/flatbows with or without recurved tips.Would you recommend trying to straighten the kinks and some of the reflex with steam as soon as possible, or using a heat gun when dry,or just leave them as they are.Will post pics tomorrow(btw ends sealed with poly).
“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Dogwood staves
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:21:20 pm »
You will probably get better results steaming them while they are green and letting them dry on the form. Steaming will force some of the moisture out thus aiding in the drying process. Be sure to seal the back after you remove the bark. Shellac will work best for this because it is not adversely affected by heat or steam.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline popaoandrei

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 06:40:59 pm »
Are you saying that i should debark the staves , seal the back and proceed to steam and clamp them to the form while freshly cut and green?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 08:10:04 pm »
I'm saying that steaming a green stave will help force moisture out of the wood to a certain level and you should probably remove the bark before steaming. Once you remove the bark you need to seal the back and shellac works best to seal wood that is to be steamed.   I would take the stave down to floor tiller stage before steaming too.
 I have never made a bow with Cornus sanguinea. Is it red twig dogwood? I have made arrows from red twig dogwood and I know they will check if the bark is removed too soon. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline popaoandrei

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:18 pm »
Yes that is the wood.Understood.Thak you.Will post some pics with the wood soon.