Author Topic: Pheasant Two-fletch  (Read 6104 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Pheasant Two-fletch
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:20:21 pm »
This arrows is a gift for my cousin.  It was my first time doing a two fletch like this and working with pheasant feathers but these feathers really lend themselves to this type of fletch.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TRACY

Re: Pheasant Two-fletch
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »
Real nice arrow Tim! I never thought about using tail feathers from pheasant.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:58:16 pm »
Yup, looks pretty good. Do you seal your sinew wraps? dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:24:34 pm »
I like the looks of it Tim, hard to tell in the pics. but did you put a little helical twist in them? The two feather fletch using whole feathers has a nice primitive look to it.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:55 pm »
Thanks y'all!

Yup, looks pretty good. Do you seal your sinew wraps? dp
  Generally I don't, though I have before.  I'm still experimenting a lot when it comes to making arrows so at some point I might take things apart.  Until I find my groove I'll probably just leave the sinew raw.

I like the looks of it Tim, hard to tell in the pics. but did you put a little helical twist in them? The two feather fletch using whole feathers has a nice primitive look to it.
  I put a very slight twist.  You really don't need to though since the individual feathers are uneven.  This arrow spins very fast when shot.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:29 pm »
I really like four fletch arrows and it is interesting how similar a primitive two fletch resembles a modern four fletch.

Great looking arrow Tim, I like the shaft bands with the feathers.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:38:56 am »
They look great!  I'll have to give that a try.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:11:23 am »
thanks guys!  I made a few more of these and gave three to my cousin and kept one for myself.  She really liked them.  I love how they fly too!  The feathers don't grab much air as it is so there's not much need to do any cutting or anything like that.  Just sinew them on and shoot 'em.

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:39 pm »
Very nice looking. All the more reason to look forward to going pheasant hunting with my dad this fall.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:12:24 pm »
Very nice looking. All the more reason to look forward to going pheasant hunting with my dad this fall.
do you shoot them with bow and arrow?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:43 pm »
Most feathers are curved in; and that is how those appear to be mounted. If they were turned over with the curve out, do you think they would grab more air?
I guess the bottom or underside of the feather turned out...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:30:10 am »
Very cool arrow,bet he will love that. Is that from the trash can pheasant  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:38:11 am »
Most feathers are curved in; and that is how those appear to be mounted. If they were turned over with the curve out, do you think they would grab more air?
I guess the bottom or underside of the feather turned out...
  They probably would grab more air but I didn't want to trim them at all so I decided to leave them curved in so they would grab less air.

Very cool arrow,bet she will love that. Is that from the trash can pheasant  ;) :)
 Pappy
No I didn't get it out of the trash!  Zuma actually gave me two sets of tail feathers.  He's a very generous dude! And yes, my cousin loved them.  I ended up making a set of three.